1. Irminsul

Irminsul

Just as an aside (and Discovery just adheres to the "tradition" here, of course), I always wondered why they didn't just set a course orthogonal to the ecliptic if you can't warp inside the solar system. Your way would be free from larger objects in no time. Oh well.

2. Vault

Vault

It's more the fact that they were able to reach the Solar system during war time without getting detected and destroyed.

3. Well, no one said that Starfleet was good at being a military (when forced to be). :P

4. StallionDan

StallionDan

If I thought the season good such a awful finale would have probably annoyed me, but it honestly felt like most of the season, a disappointment.

5. StallionDan

StallionDan

They wouldn't, and in canon never did. STD is another continuity (for lots of things), doesn't matter what the writers say.

6. Vault

Vault

Starfleet isn't a military they just fight wars a lot. Even during the TNG era you have.

Borg attack
    Cardassian war
    Border Skirmishes with Romulans
    Conflict with Klingons
    Dominion War

They have border conflicts with every race as well

They seem to like a good fight really

7. They didn't lose though, just loosing lol

8. Vault

Vault

Yesterday's Enterprise?

9. Medalion

Medalion

They aren't a Military in theory, but will rise up to the occasion to be whatever needs be to protect their borders and allies.

10. rancey

rancey
    Banned Member

How are they not a military? They have ranks, orders, court martials, they fight wars...they do everything I'm aware that a military does. They're the military branch of the Federation.

11. JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

I suppose it might be arguable they're more of a self-defence force, perhaps? Like they don't have the authorisation or general remit to declare war, just keep their citizens safe.

12. Vault

Vault

Couldn't the Romulans beat the Federation at the start of TNG?

Don't they have a big tech advantage at the start and everyone has to catch up

13. Medalion

Medalion

The mighty treaty of Algeron

Federation handy capped from learning/developing cloaking technology brah

14. In reality they are a military (or at least quasi-military), but they repeatedly like to point out that they are not one. Even in Enterprise Admiral Forrest seems shocked that they would invite MACO troops on the ship. "You feel comfortable having the military on Enterprise?"

I like to think the Federation just likes to send their best and brightest scientists out to die in their constant wars without calling it a military, so that they can act smug about it to their neighboring empires... and random time travelers from the past. "Huh, we defeated you in this war and we don't even have a military. *sniff*"

15. Soap

Soap

Earth having a terrible defence system is pretty typical of the federation from what we’ve seen.

16. Medalion

Medalion

Starfleet is the space navy

17. Vault

Vault

Romulans are so much better then Vulcans it's a crime we are always stuck with them and never get a Romulan on the winning team.

We got Garak for the Cardassians now I just need a Romulan who's a Jackass to everyone

18. Medalion

Medalion

In DS9, I think they wanted the Romulan liason who helped with the Cloaking device on the Defiant to become a series regular

19. I like to pretend that Sub-Commander T'Rul was on the Defiant the entire time until it blew up. Just off screen.

How can you disparage the mighty Mars Defense Perimeter!

[​IMG]

20. Alexandros

Alexandros

They should get some orbital defence grids from B5.

[​IMG]

21. Medalion

Medalion

Haha Mars defense perimeter... pew pew pew... next!

22. JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

At least by the late 23rd century they have Spacedock (which was shown as under construction this episode). Of course, Earth just happens to get attacked by things that can completely overwhelm that too.

23. Joeytj

Joeytj

Lol, we didn't think much about that either, it's a stupid and lazy solution, but liking something it isn't black and white. There were good things in the finale and the season and other pretty bad ones.

But overall, most people have liked it and are willing to give the series a chance for next season. It also seems like the writers and producers of the show have the potential to create something great if they have more time and can now gauge the reactions to the first season.

24. Sounds like Star Trek did well...I wonder how many canceled after this weekend lol

25. JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

That first tweet feels particularly important - it implies they seized and/or made a younger wing of the fandom, which is kinda key to the longevity of the franchise.

26. Soap

Soap

Yeah, Discovery isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

27. Vault

Vault

Time to start launching the spinoffs

28. Soap

Soap

I really think we’ll get some spin offs if all access subscriptions drop hard. I don’t see Twighlight Zone carrying the weight Trek does.

29. Vault

Vault

How about one that takes place on a Space station on the frontier of Federation space

30. JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

You know, it would be kinda neat if we got to see one of the earlier Deep Space stations, even if making an outright series around one would be a bit too close to DS9 outright.

31. firehawk12

firehawk12

Wow, actual subscriber numbers.
    5 million is impressive given they were at 1 million not too long ago.

32. Medalion

Medalion

It would make sense that younger viewers would be more open to this incarnation, than older viewers who don't like change and are stuck in their ways.

Of course I defy that demographic but I am young at heart

33. Oh god, they are going to do a teen drama at Star Fleet Academy aren't they.

34. MCN

MCN

Star Trek: Deep Space K-7. Coming 2019.

35. 20 years younger than their broadcast viewers is probably still like 40.

36. Medalion

Medalion

Sounds about right.

I grew up with TNG and the spinoffs than the TOS

37. lol you are spot on

38. Sammex

Sammex

Give it the CW treatment and get lots of attractive actors in their mid 20s playing teenagers. Don't forget the love triangle!

39. I would agree with this. I had some real issues with this season, but overall it probably was the best first season of a Star Trek show since TOS. I hope now that they can make the show their own and not have to try and pivot off Fuller's ideas that they can do something interesting with it going forward.

40. Effect

Effect

As said I fully expect we'll get something in between season 2 and 3 going forward. They're likely not going want to have this gap they're going to have now. It doesn't have to be anything as big but just something that keeps people subbed or resubbing earlier if they do cancel.

41. StallionDan

StallionDan

Different war and different timeline.

The Klingons shouldn't even get cloaking technology until Kirk's time, the Klingons and Romulans did an exchange of technology, Klingons got cloak, the Romulans got Klingon ship design (most notably the D7).

During the Fed-Klingon war there was no cloak.

Even says this on StarTrek.com, still

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/cloaking-device-klingon

"Similar to the Romulan cloaking device, the Klingons received this technology from the Romulans circa 2268, when the two civilizations shared a political alliance."

42. golem

golem

I am down for some spinoffs and it makes sense if they are serious about All Access. I wonder if they would be set during DISC or in another time period... I think I would prefer a concurrent time period series at this point actually to flesh out the universe.

43. Weird All Access stats, I don't remember giving my age when signing up but maybe I did. I'm glad the show did well. Hopefully they forgive me for unsubscribing until season 2.

44. Effect

Effect

I would expect something current so they could reuse the sets. Hell I'd be down for some slice of life to flesh out the universe as you said. It doesn't all need to be focused on Starfleet. In fact it probably shouldn't be focused only on starfleet.

45. jp319

jp319

Welp if they do I'm watching, not gonna lie

46. MistaTwo

MistaTwo
    SNK Gaming Division Studio 1 Verafied

Wesley Crusher: A Star Trek story

47. Bob_Coffee

Bob_Coffee

im guessing that's going to get retconned into T'kuvma getting the tech from the romulans and installing it into the ship of the dead, and thats how the Klingons get the tech initially.

48. I would watch it too :/

Except for that...

49. firehawk12

firehawk12

I still think this is the best CW show idea that CBS has. And it would fit in with all the trashy teen soap stuff they they already air (including the DC shows. :p)

50. Vault

Vault

I wouldn't pay much attention to a promotional page that hasn't been updated in years.

It's never said in canon how they got it.

Romulans had Klingon ship designs because it was a 60s TV and they were trying to save money.
    Romulans also don't have warp in TOS, and they fight a war with out ever seeing each other.

Every war meeting in DS9 has the Romulans shitting on the Klingons and calling them dogs, the idea that they used there ship tech is funny. Lots of things were retconed in TNG.

When TOS was being written they weren't thinking of the canon police, there's stuff that happens in TOS that retcons what happened a few episodes earlier.