1. PlayBee

PlayBee

This sounds like a speech Trump would give

2. Stinkles

Stinkles
    343 Industries Verafied

More proof that if you're not on Team Wiebe, then you don't understand the "Are We the Baddies?" meme.

Mitchell is the Villain in our History. Y'all too blind to see.

3. SmiteOfHand

SmiteOfHand

"scientific evidence"

4. logash

logash

What a douche. I thought so way back when I saw King of Kong but also kept in the back of my mind that this is a documentary and it's obviously trying to portray him as a villain for it's narrative so maybe he isn't as bad as the doc made him out to be... Nope he is even more duchey when someone is not editing his interviews.

5. Stinkles

Stinkles
    343 Industries Verafied

Yep, I've had that takeaway for a bit now - that King of Kong, if ANYTHING, is edited to make him less unbelievably douchelord, because it would have looked like a work otherwise.

6. MechaBreaker

MechaBreaker

First thing he asks for is for no one to record him... couldn't he see the camera right next to him?

7. Moebius

Moebius

My legal counselor told me not to do this. But I'll do it anyway. You know why? Because I'm Billy Mitchell.

8. shoryukens

shoryukens

The arcade cersion of Donkey Kong is on Switch right? I can take him.

9. Stinkles

Stinkles
    343 Industries Verafied

Remember he doesn't believe in journalism, because journalism is when you cut and paste a link to a Variety story - which Billy Mitchell is also the best at.

10. Arkaign

Arkaign

Lol man if you want to find a mentally ill potentially dangerous figure in this area, there is a guy you should look up, it's absolutely mind boggling.

https://retrobitch.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/radical-felines-when-harassment-becomes-a-game/

And his blog

http://rudyferretti.blogspot.com/?m=1

11. Vicious17

Vicious17

Correct me if Im wrong, but isn't there footage of him playing the game? We know he's "good" at it, we just don't know if he's "next in the world" good

12. Moebius

Moebius

So you're saying it's time for a head to head, in person, Mitchel vs Wiebe battle?!

13. SmiteOfHand

SmiteOfHand

Billy Mitchell can play classic arcade games very well. It is verifiably documented well enough and isn't an issue. What I believe happened is something I've seen before, albeit on a much smaller scale before.

He has been doing this a long time and feels he has already proven his worth. He knows he can break a million, and possibly even take the lead back, he has already proven ability in the past, it is just a formality at this point. So why even bother spending the loads and loads of hours giving it serious effort? It is a strange twisted logic of being an obsessive element in life and also equally not worth the time. So fake it with save states or spliced footage or whatever. He knows he could do it if he really wanted to and that is good enough justification for faking it.

Anyone who has ever fudged there way through a game using save states or whatever knows this feeling. You know you could spend the time to learn the patterns and try, try, try, try, but eh.. why bother.

14. HStallion

HStallion

Wiebe isn't involved any more as far as I know. There are other people better than Wiebe that Mitchell would have to beat if he wanted the crown again.

15. T.Slothrop

T.Slothrop

He’ll probably be the next president. Guy is a first rate showman. Obviously everything he’s saying is complete lies and bullshit tho.

16. Stinkles

Stinkles
    343 Industries Verafied

17. Stinkles

Stinkles
    343 Industries Verafied

BILLY?

18. HStallion

HStallion

Mitchell/Day 2020 with Brian Kuh as campaign manager.

"There is a United States of America kill screen coming up"

19. Gestault

Gestault

20. Vicious17

Vicious17

Only if it's on the Grandest Stage of them All, WRESTLEMANIA!

21. T.Slothrop

T.Slothrop

Make America Gamers Again
    (Tried to do a MAME acronym slogan. Couldn’t figure one out)

22. night814

night814

Now George "GLC" Louis Costanza is a real arcade high score champion.

Mitchell is crazy, he is was crazy in king of kong and now he's fucking nuts.

23. HStallion

HStallion

Whoops

24. Figboy

Figboy

This fucking guy. Lol. I knew people like him existed, but didn’t truly believe it possible to be so full of shit, and so high on himself, and be completely devoid of all self awareness.

It’s fascinating.

25. JustinH

JustinH

Oh, okay... there it is.
    I knew I remember hearing this part a few days ago but I had to go back and listen to the recording again to make sure I didn't imagine it.

The thing that sticks out to me as the most bizarre from what he said was about 39:15 when he goes...
    "By the way... there's no Donkey Kong here. I was gonna play here." and then gives the camera a look.

I don't get why he'd say that. I'm sure if he'd just let the people running it know, and I don't think it would have to end up public if that's what he wanted, that they could've provided a machine to play.

I've never seen King of Kongs, but all this mess about Billy Mitchell in the past few months has me thinking I should finally actually watch it. I wonder if it's available to rent on amazon or something... (edit: yep. I got something to do tonight, I guess. It's rentable on Amazon)

26. APOEERA

APOEERA

Not really. People stood in line to get their picture taken with him. He said a few people looked, but not for any length of time.

Also, there was a Donkey Kong cabinet there.

27. JustinH

JustinH

Dude what?!

I don't even know...

I guess he was in the middle of talking about how the Donkey he ended up playing in the story was someone's personal Donkey Kong and might've not been an official Donkey Kong but was still set up by officials and they gave the okay. Maybe the one there wasn't "official?" I guess I'm just going to have to accept that I don't know enough about this stuff to understand this stuff.

28. synic

synic

Holy shit! I just read through this. This makes the whole Donkey Kong thing seem like nothing.
    I know there are issues with people in modern gaming scenes, but the classic scene manages to pull in some downright scary people.

29. I kind of feel like disgraced former Donkey Kong champion is as good a qualification for that job these days as any.

30. garion333

garion333

Okay, I don't exactly understand everything he's trying to claim other than there's a vast conspiracy out there to discredit him.

Even if he cheated with MAME, and he almost certainly did, I can understand his frustration that all his scores were removed. The pre-2000 scores were all done live at a Twin Galaxies place. Why wouldn't they stand?

The tapes, the tapes, the tapes. SO MANY TAPES I DON'T KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Btw, the Donkey Kong at the expo wasn't a "real" DK, which he mentions at 59 mins.

The 1980's have provided us the most amazing heels in history.

"He's got papers!"

Dude even wants to get the literal last word in. What a narcissist!

31. It’s the best movie about video games by about a mile.

32. SmiteOfHand

SmiteOfHand

He is the one to blame. Why should Twin Galaxies dedicate resources to coming up with a determining body for what of his is valid and what is not? That is a lot of time and resources to try to salvage a portion from a known cheat. Cut them all out. If he didn't want his shit tarnished he shouldn't have cheated in the first place. TG has no obligation to put that level of care for him.

33. JustinH

JustinH

Ok. I guess that makes sense. I didn't make it that far this go 'round.

34. Gestault

Gestault

If people don't understand why a venue would strip legacy scores after deliberate, concerted cheating is revealed, I don't know what to say. Stripping records and blacklisting the competitor is a necessary and standard response. Losing legacy records is a punitive measure. It's key to removing the incentive to cheat. Even beyond that, venues have no obligation to spend extra resources adjudicating each and every submission when there's already an established breach of trust. You compromise the whole value of keeping records if that question is there at all.

If someone doesn't operate in good faith, they're not competition, full stop. Successful cheaters are demoralizing to actual competitors, the people with the actual talent. An amateur like Mitchell made his bed when he showed he didn't think he was good enough to rank without "tipping the table."

35. garion333

garion333

I understand why you'd strip a lot of scores, but if the pre-2000 live scores would all have to have been made in-person with Twin Galaxies judges in place and multiple people reviewing the hardware, etc., those scores should seemingly stand. For anyone. Because they're as valid now as they were the day they were made. There's simply no way to review what they did back then, cheating or not.

It's why baseball still has Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa records up. There are asterisks, but the records are still there.

(Pete Rose should be in HoF, btw.)

Still an excuse for him to no play live, today. ;)

36. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Thought this was about Radical Redemption's album before realizing what site I'm on lmao

37. Moebius

Moebius

MAME 116 to 1122 became available THREE years after Billy submitted the score. Billy vindicated. This really does look like someone was brought in to take him down for whatever reason.

38. MoonlitBow

MoonlitBow

I am fine with TG stripping even legitimate scores as punishment. It's what they had in the rules for what they do to everyone else, so it sends (in theory, at least) a strong message that even players like Billy or Todd Rodgers are no longer protected figures in the community (although they definitely tried their hardest to protect Todd Rogers during the Dragster dispute for several months).

IIRC they found that even the available version of MAME properly tweaked to have the proper framerate Donkey Kong arcade would run at (which would be an important adjustment if wanting to pass off emulation as arcade perfect) would cause the "finger girder" to show.

39. SmiteOfHand

SmiteOfHand

That was addressed in TG's final ruling and various other possible explanations were extensively explored in the 326 page dispute thread. Their determination was not based on MAME being used, but that they concluded unmodified original DK hardware was not used, based on the shitloads of comparisons over the months of review.

40. Moebius

Moebius

Interesting. How are people disproving his paper trail and video evidence? Also, how do people explain the missing tapes and how edited footage of those tapes appeared in a documentary? It seems like he's making good points unless I'm missing something.

All of Billy's scores were done in front of a live crowd. He says at the end he's going to do the same score. Then stop.

41. MoonlitBow

MoonlitBow

As far as what was shown in the documentary, during the dispute they had a copy of what they felt was a confirmed recording of Billy's performance and that was what was being looked at. Some people tried to disprove that it was Billy's performance but a lot of the theories were very unlikely (like claiming it was a perfect recreation done by someone else) so those ideas never took off, so while it's possible that it's not actually Billy's performance I don't think anyone managed to show that it wasn't. I'm honestly not sure what the missing tapes thing is about.

That is true, I did mostly want to point out a possible explanation that was brought up though.

42. JustinH

JustinH

Holy crap, that was so satisfying knowing what I know now (current events) while watching King of Kong.

Man, that was really good. I should've taken the hint and watched it when my Pop, of all people, was telling me how it was a good watch all those years ago.

43. khamakazee

khamakazee

To be honest I'm not really all that informed about this whole Twin Galaxies thing going on. I did a search on that guy and this video was up, fairly fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvUDBjnG34

It's a weird world I don't want to part of and yes there is some mental illness going on.

44. Arkaign

Arkaign

Guy is really out there, I don't know how someone can exist like that. Everyone is always 'out to get him', he's 'the console player of the century', 'the only person with real accomplishments', and the funniest/weirdest 'I am a model!'. He's taken down some of his more vicious videos, or they were flagged/removed, but he's still a spooky individual. He has threatened people with rape and murder online numerous times, makes me wish there was a better system for flagging people like this because I would be sadly unsurprised if one day he actually does something horrible to someone physically beyond his insane ranting and harassment routine. He's a huge MAGA head as well, shocker.

45. Krooner

Krooner

I've never said he wasn't good at the game 40 years ago, I'm sure he was. but he's been a busy man, nothing wrong with that, he can be proud of the life he's built, but he hasn't kept up with the game. I'm sure having not kept your hand in for however long it's been would be telling against whatever the modern scoring techniques are.

46. Big One

Big One

So I forget exactly how some of this went down, and was hoping you guys could provide answers here.

- How did Todd Rogers fake his initial Dragster score? Why would Activision go along with it?
    - Am I assuming correctly that Billy MItchell's previous scores in Donkey Kong outside of the MAME ones are still legit? If so it really wouldn't be unheard of it too surprising if he does a legit run of the MAME scores if he puts his mind to it.

47. ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

This guy definitely voted for Trump.

48. SFJ

SFJ

I think the problem now is that he's old. At 52, he probably doesn't have the same reflexes that he did even a decade ago, and I'm sure Mitchell knows that too.

49. NinjaScooter

NinjaScooter

Billy Mitchell is washed and he knows it. I could probably beat him at Donkey Kong.

50. Unknownlight

Unknownlight

Man, I should really rewatch King of Kong at some point. I enjoyed it the first time, but the "skeptical voice" in my head whispered to me the entire time "They're probably editing Billy to make him look bad. Enjoy the movie, but don't take it too seriously."

It must be so, so much more satisfying to watch it knowing that the filmmakers didn't exaggerate a thing and that Billy eventually gets what he deserves.