1. Calliope

Calliope

Well, this thread did start out as a topic on a screenshot. Unless we're all shipping Cloud X Airbuster, it's wandered pretty far off. :p

It's been great discussion though. I'll certainly reel it in myself if it's bothering anyone. Shipping talk can be exhausting.

2. Damiskus

Damiskus

Soooooo, on a completely different (non shipping) note:

Would you guys want to see a bit more psychological horror in this game?

3. CG Amor

CG Amor

Hmm maybe I should brush up on the game. Keep meaning to play the PS4 one.

4. yunbuns

yunbuns

Calliope Kieli I guess by on topic I meant more like: let's try to bring the shipping talk back towards the remake itself instead of just simply talking about the ships in the compilation and stuff (I just don't want the thread to get closed because I'm quite enjoying it lol). I guess a question I would raise to you all is whether or not you guys thing the dating mechanics will change (or will their be more options :p). I think Aerith might not have the lead on the dating points (I can't remember the exact number but I know she's ahead of everyone else while Yuffie's the lowest). I think her and Tifa's values might be the equal this time around.

5. Aters

Aters

FFVII's final dungeon sucks though. Gotta uphold the tradition.

6. Turin

Turin

Yes. I really do.

I assume plenty of fans hate that stuff so it might be a good idea to do it sparingly but I love segments in games that fuck with you and Cloud's a prime candidate for some stuff like that.

7. Don of S

Don of S
    Self Requested Ban Member

I would. There's a lot of really messed up and dark stuff in the original and I want them to go all out with it. Instead of Cloud just holding his head and hearing that high pitched noise I want it to really freak out. PoV shots of him seeing messed up stuff as he freaks out.

8. signal

signal

How is the boat meant to be a dungeon?

Also worst dungeon in the game is cave of the gi.

9. Wazzy

Wazzy

I'm also very curious if the date mechanic is coming back as the biggest purpose of it was to choose who you preferred Cloud to end up with. While I personally think Square leaned towards Aeris more often it was still pretty balanced based off your choices.

You should definitely give it another shot. A thing to remember is VII has a dating mechanic so based off your choices it changes the outcome of particular scenes. Getting Aeris as your date at Gold Saucer is the scene I'm referring to and while it's the easiest to get it can still be missed.

10. ultima786

ultima786

Final Fantasy 7 Chapter 13!!!!!!!!!!!1

11. Kieli

Kieli

I thought we were going to end at Junon when the weapons are awoken? Or is that too far for part 1 (of most likely 3 parts)?

12. Calliope

Calliope

It's funny because the dating mechanics, while rusty, are actually pretty current with romancing options in today's game. I honestly don't think they'll change too much, with the exception of starting everyone at the same base value and making the direction your choices lead a little more obvious. I was following a guide to get the Bromance trophy and remember thinking a few responses were not what I was expecting to lead to that result.

New romance options would be interesting but I can't think of anyone or how they would work. Maybe Elena? Or even Cissnei? Some fans would probably like Vincent. I'd honestly dig an option for Reno but that would be a very bizarre romance in the game itself. XD

13. Gaia Lanzer

Gaia Lanzer

Wonder how how they are going to run with that relationship in the remake. Nomura is an unashamed Cloud x Tifa fan. I wouldn't doubt he'd allow a rewriting so that Aerith was ONLY attracted to the Zack in him and nothing more, while focusing on the Cloud and Tifa relationship. Though for us, that would suck ass. The whole love triangle thing worked because it felt like it COULD go either way, with either Aerith or Tifa. And though I can swallow Cloud ending up with Tifa because Aerith died, that doesn't prove he loved Tifa MORE than Aerith. You can have a "love of your life" that dies and move on and remarry. Many people actually do that in life. It's possible that Cloud does sincerely love Aerith, romantically, and it's more than just "the Zack in him". That also being said, it don't mean that one childhood friend of the opposite sex HAS to be your lover. I know that's a trope in Japanese manga, anime and such, but that's not always really the case in reality as well.

14. Ha ha, yes, just like the hearty wild grapes of the Basque Country, it's both bitter and sweet. And I'll join you once more at the high table and drink deep their Lethey nectar.

15. SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

More?

MORE?

Imagine all of this with modern graphics:

Headless Jenova in the Shinra building

Headless Jenova's escape, blood trial, and slaughter of everyone

Creepy Jenova statue

Creepy mako monsters in the Nibelheim Reactor

Sephiroth's slaughter of Nibelheim to evil theme music

Weird ass black cloaked creepy guys kind of creepily shuffling around mumbling cultish nonsense

Jenova on the ship

The face in Cosmo Canyon's cave

Not to mention the number one thing that will be a hundred times scarier in the remake, Emerald Weapon. Imagine exploring the ocean and seeing this huge, hostile, lumbering beast wander towards you from the darkness.

I think we're good

16. Damiskus

Damiskus

(PLOT SPOILERS IF ANYONE CARES)

I'm going to be completely honest, I didn't play this game until recently so I don't have a ton of nostalgia for it. As a modern day gamer (players who played right when it came out probably won't want the "choose your love interest" to change, but...), I would love having Aerith as a fixed love interest up until her death, then Cloud beginning to lean towards Tifa. I could never choose between them when I played the original, and I think they're both amazing for different reasons, so why not have both?

17. Damiskus

Damiskus

Okay :P, there's a lot. But I think even more foreshadowing would make the game a lot more mysterious for some players, think of the possibilities now that characters can speak and make facial expressions:

Maybe Cloud recognizes Hojo from the ceiling vent

Maybe Cloud has a ton of creepy flashbacks to the Nibleheim basement

idk, Cloud's memory issues have a lot of untapped potential to be creepy af if they want to go that rout, of course it probably won't get that dark unless the game is rated M...

18. SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Those actually sound great. There's a lot more room for subtle hints with realistic faces and the like.

I'm just saying, though. This game scared the pants off of me at times as an 8 year old.

19. Eylos

Eylos

I would love If they take inspiration of revelations

20. Plywood

Plywood

Because I really like these articles, The Potential Of series from lifestream.net:

Jenova & Horror
    Shinra’s Non-SOLDIER Experiments
    Disorienting Game Techniques
    “Wacky & Whimsical” Vs. “Epic & Dark” in the FFVII Remake

21. signal

signal

Thought this was going to be punching boulders to move them

22. Kieli

Kieli

Actually Nomura has been very deliberate to avoid picking sides. Any time he is pressed during an interview, he has been very non-commital.

I guess he wants to leave interpretation open to fans, despite the evidence being so unequivocal. Nojima, on the other hand... now there's an unabashed Clerith fan.

23. Omnistalgic

Omnistalgic

Seeing Final Fantasy discussion in 2018 legit warms my heart. Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify right now.

Nostalgia is not even a strong enough word to describe the feels right now.

24. Don of S

Don of S
    Self Requested Ban Member

As someone who is terrified of the deep ocean I'm really dreading this part. When I was a kid I would always have a friend or my dad do the submarine stuff because I was scared. I'm fine doing it now but the remake is going to bring that feeling back.

25. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Just Cause 4 now being confirmed means there’s now a 99% certainty FFVII R shows up now right?

26. DrewM1788

DrewM1788

And does it also mean that it'll be at Microsoft's conference to be announced as multiplatform now?

27. Eylos

Eylos

I think the chance is higher at least

28. gordofredito

gordofredito

I remember playing it with one of my best friends and whenever there was a hard part (aka bosses) we would ask his big brother to play for us. But he loved the game so he didn't mind - I was in elementary school

29. Eylos

Eylos

I think Its a possibility

30. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Also come on guys.

It’s literally canon that Cloud and Tifa end up together.

31. ultima786

ultima786

Metaphorically.

32. ultima786

ultima786

So what’s up with y’all and all the advent children hate? It wasn’t ff7: the game but it was well done and I enjoyed it a lot.

33. DrewM1788

DrewM1788

Is anyone actually saying that he doesn't end up with Tifa though? I thought it was just being stated that Cloud could have loved Aerith or both of them.

34. Gaia Lanzer

Gaia Lanzer

I hope they leave it open and up for interpretation.

35. Kieli

Kieli

Well, that's what I thought too, until today that is. Read the stuff at the following link (thanks peetxp): http://www.cloudandaerith.com/ClAeris_FF7.html

If you are a Cloti fan, be warned... the evidence is not pretty. I agree with Cait Sith when he said he "felt sorry for Tifa".

36. Keym

Keym

He doesn't deserve her. He barely gave her the time of day in AC! Cloud sucks.

I thought Geocities was dead.

37. Kieli

Kieli

You're absolutely right. Cloud is pretty darn cold to Tifa through FFVII, ACC, and KH2. I feel bad for her tbh.

Here's hoping FFVII/Re is kinder to her.

38. ZenTzen

ZenTzen

The only time he said anything about it was in a KH interview,but yeah hes been pretty much of the mindset that people should decide themselves

39. Kieli

Kieli

There's another quote in KH2 where the interviewer asked Nomura if Tifa was Cloud's light. And then I think he went off on a tangent about how Aerith was both light and dark (wtf?). He basically didn't want to answer the question and tip-toed around it (not that I blame him)

40. Balfour

Balfour

Maybe. Though I don't think that he doesn't love her too. She was the one he tried to be all big and stuff for initially. Just after he became NotZack Cloud, he changed. It wasn't after until Tifa helped him repair his broken mind that he wasn't a jerk to everyone anymore. It is just when it came to AC, they decided Cloud couldn't handle his own guilt on top of having Geostigma and ran away from everyone (while still trying to financially support them). Though its funny it was Vincent and Marlene who got him to quit running. Then ghost Aerith cures his sickness form beyond the grave and ghost Zack motivates him. Then he finally moves on in the end, say he will be ok. AC gave Cloud an mostly disliked image, but even then i don't think he doesn't highly care about Tifa or the kids he helps take care of

And the only depiction of Cloud we have after he moves on from all of it is 10 seconds of Dirge of Cerberus, and frankly I want to forget that game

41. ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Part 1 is releasing in 2019.

Book it.

42. Kieli

Kieli

My body is ready.

43. TRUE ORDER

TRUE ORDER

Just catching up on the thread
    Sorry for the lat question, but what is that "FF remake project" that some people are talking about?

44. Calliope

Calliope

I love Tifa, but Cloud has plenty of reason to be cold to her. She wasn't exactly honest with him throughout a good bit of VII. She had her reasons, and that's what I think makes her interesting as a character, but it's not unbelievable that Cloud wouldn't harbor some resentment. They are both guilty of being jerks to each other at one point or another.

45. Keym

Keym

This is what I'm thinking. I'm ready for disappointment!

If that were the case, you'd think they'd talk about it while waiting for the end of the world underneath the Highwind and bumping uglies. I think that's something SE pulled out of their behinds to make Cloud look "cool" for the movie, nothing more. Tifa basically saved his life, he wouldn't resent her after the whole Lifestream dive they did together.

46. HStallion

HStallion

I ship Barrett and Emerald Weapon together.

47. Notaskwid

Notaskwid

I wish Ishimoto was composing.

48. Demo tonight or with dragon quest 11. Experience the opening sequence of the game yourself.

49. Death Penalty

Death Penalty

Come on dude, it's canon that he ends up with Ruby Weapon.

50. Balfour

Balfour

If I remember right, weren't Cid and Barret watching them? lol

but anyway yeah, after Cloud got his head fixed, fully fixed, and remembered everything, he became a lot calmer and and stuff.

Then AC turned him guilt ridden and made him run in one of those "i will only bring pain blah blah blah" scenarios. Only to quickly do away with it after a ghost and a child tell him it was time to stop