?

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

1. Pikachu

15.9%
  2. Eevee

16.3%
  3. Your hopes and dreams

58.8%
  4. Jmon

9.0%
  1. Theorymon

Theorymon

Wasn't it mentioned that some Alola formes were going to be in this game?

Also, something to remember is that this game is all Kanto Pokemon EXCEPT for this new, mystery 152nd Pokemon! My guess is that its gonna be an event Pokemon from gen 8 as some sort of promotion. For all we know, this new gen 8 Pokemon could have some sort of gimmick with formes :P

2. Mitchman

Mitchman

Shiny and Genders most likely.

3. steviejd1

steviejd1

Also remember that the 3DS has a camera (which could have been used for Pokemon Go style AR) and also has "motion controls"/gyroscope so they probably wouldn't have to shift their plans too dramatically to move over to the Switch. But yeah you could be right. Like I said it's all speculation unless Game Freak specifically tell us about the development of the games.

4. Mitchman

Mitchman

I definitely think Lets Go was always a 3DS game. Hot take here, but I think at some point lets Go was intended to be the 3DS' swan song game, for the anniversary in 2016, but it didn't pan out because Pokemon Go didn't pan out either. Like this would have made A LOT of sense in 2016. It would also explain why SM and Gen 7 feel a lot like it was intended for a single screen device, and why it has a lot of cut corners. At some point, they switched platforms, with Lets Go coming to the Switch, with SM being released on the 3DS instead. I am fully serious, I think SM was planned for a launch on the Switch in 2017.

5. doragon

doragon

Dance along.

6. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

would explain this framerate for sure. hard to believe they thought this was ok if they were playtesting it on the 3ds the whole time

7. Jonneh

Jonneh
    GameXplain Moderator

OOH-OOOH-OHHH!

8. TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

The only thing is that Masuda has said the games have been in development for about 2 years, so production would have just started in 2016 (source).

9. Rei

Rei

I'm getting this game. Not sure what the negatives is all about. It's a spin off game, and I'd rather have this first than getting nothing for Pokemon on the Switch at all this year. I love the first generation of Pokemon the most, so this will be fun. It felt more experimental sure, but something fresh and new is always welcomed. People always hate changes I guess, and most of the negative seems to be on that. Skip it and wait next year if you don't like it, I guess, but I know most who said they won't buy it will buy it anyway in the end.

People thinking any Pokemon game should cater for hardcore gamers is an issue. Pokemon games are suppose to be for kids in general. This game is probably just a small taste of what the mainline Pokemon will be in 2019.

10. Delio

Delio

I"M UNBEATABLE DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DOOOOO

11. XDevil666

XDevil666

Pokemon Go didn’t pan out??! Everyone was playing Pokemon Go in 2016!!!! Well except you.

12. Sander VF

Sander VF

Could this game have started as Pokemon Stars?

Or rather, is it possible that Stars project branched off into USUM and LPGE?

13. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

you cracked the code

[​IMG]

14. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

Go didn't pan out....? wut

and if that were true,
    if GO didn't pan out, releasing a GO heavily influenced game in 2018 would be doubly worse than 2016.

15. Rotimi

Rotimi

Original region remake with what looks like minimal differences, no wild battles,
    Grid style control, no 3D camera control, Team rocket again, no new legendary Pokemon, limited overworld design again that's not open and allows for great transversal. Simply (upgraded 3DS) looking graphics engine

16. Serebii

Serebii
    Serebii.net Webmaster Verafied

No

Stars project was USUM and never for Switch

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades

I'm coming around to this game after re-watching the trailer a couple of times. The graphics look quite nice if we ignore the ugly chibi models for humans. It does look a bit too "clean" sometimes however. All Pokémon following you again and being able to ride all Pokémon who are large enough is really neat (riding an Onix or flying on a Charizard is a dream come true lol). HMs are still removed which is a good thing as well. No random encounters is also a great change. Seeing all wild Pokémon on the map is a really good improvement. No battles against wild Pokémon sucks, but as long as we still get to battle legendary Pokémon everything will be fine. And the local multiplayer is another great addition, hopefully the implementation is done correctly.

18. Sander VF

Sander VF

Oh the bolded part is interesting. Do you have inside knowledge? Was EG wrong at the time?

19. Idolvo

Idolvo

Do you battle legendaries in Pokemon Go? Cause with that game being part of the inspiration I geuss GF will go with what Niantic did.

Nothing points to EG being right either, it was a rumor that didn't pan out.

20. Sea lion

Sea lion

Pokemon shouldn't JUST cater to hard-core fans. It should ALSO cater to hard-core fans.

The games are almost press a to win already, and Lets Go looks even more brain dead.

The guys who grew up with Gen 1, the 20-30 year olds, are playing games like God of War and BoTW. Defeating a level 6 Pidgey with a level 20 Pikachu isn't gonna capture that sense.of achievement.

What's so hard about adding a difficulty setting in the best selling game titles of all time? They know they have a ton of adult fans, yet just keep getting steadily more hand holdy as the series goes so kids know they have to walk toward to get to the next cut scene, and that grass beats water for the 100th time.

They're trying to appeal to everyone, thus options should always be present to cater to peoples playstyle.

This game has stripped almost every bit of meat from the series. It'll be fun for baby's and kids, but people coming back will have a little blast of nostalgia then realise there's nothing to this. It's vapid. It's instant gratification.

21. Jonneh

Jonneh
    GameXplain Moderator

I believe Eurogamer were simply mistaken, not necessarily wrong. Were Game Freak experimenting with their engine on Switch? Of course. Were they actually bringing over Sun/Moon as a Switch game? Unlikely. The timing doesn't line up with USUM at all.

22. eonden

eonden

IThe game featuring a grid like map is pretty disappointing after Gen 7 imo. And about the added areas... the stuff seingeems like a 1:1 translation of Kanto is pretty disappointing, If that was the case, I am pretty sure after the first initial awe of the game, it will start to feel like a quite a small world (and not many interesting locales as even the Mount Moon area shown in the trailer looked like a generic cave).
    I hope I am wrong and they have increased the size of the map to also account for the decrease of encounters and the possibility of evading pokemon (unlike the DQ7 remake).

Yeah, It is kind of annoying of Eurogamer trying to point towards this game being what stars ended up like. It is not even the same style of world building (natural looking vs grid)! Just accept that you got incorrect information or that someone saw a demo benchmark using SM content.

23. CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

You do, yes. They have big raid battles needing loads of people to beat them - proper events. The chances of us just standing there pelting mewtwo with balls are remote. Guessing you’ll need to battle him and hopefully the other legendaries too.

What I’m wondering is they said 151 but Mew wasn’t Available outside events / gameshark in gen 1. So how are we gonna get him? PLEASE LET HIM BE UNDER THAT TRUCK.

24. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I saw the update about getting experience from catching Pokémon which makes sense.

25. NippleViking

NippleViking

Totally agree. Personally I'm content with the rest of the visuals, though battlefiels are sorely lacking. Was hoping they'd flex some of that Sun and Moon cinematic flair, and really impress a sense of scale in the battles.

26. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

and this is a nitpick to add on to my other post.

Blastoise needs hydro Pump coming out of his cannons. Just make a unique animation. Especially if you're putting it right in the trailer lol.

It's just the presentation that's not quite there. It feels like we haven't definitively surpassed 2006. We have in some areas but not others.

Here:
    First is Surf. For 06 it's a decent animation. The screen getting wet is a nice effect. I enjoy how it covers the stage and has a sense of scale.
    Then next is a better Hyrdro Pump from Blastoise than what we got.
    EDIT: 6m 37s. If it didn't take you there.

maybe I just miss Stadium games.

27. Idolvo

Idolvo

Well with the "one all new pokemon" it's technically 152 (so I was right GF wouldn't do just the OG lmao).

I geuss a new area or a (side)quest?

Hope we will at least have to battle for the legendaries then.

28. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I think they may end up giving all the Pokémon some experience after catching a Pokémon instead of the first Pokémon.

29. AzureFlame

AzureFlame

so how excited you are about the Let's Go games?

30. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

exactly. even touched on it more in my post right after you lol

31. Kiraly

Kiraly

[​IMG]

This gif shows that the tile-based Kanto map design that they copied is just not suitable for a 2018 console game. Seriously, Charizard takes up almost half of the width of the route. The routes are way too tight for having a sense of exploration or openness. That's why I find it strange that, in the EG article, Pokémon Stars was supposedly canceled (or incorporated in USUM) for the Switch because Nintendo did not deem it necessary for late 2017 and they wanted to have something more expansive for the first Switch Pokémon game.

It's not reworked. At all. That's what makes it so disappointing in my eyes. The fabled 'reimagination' of Kanto should not have been like this.

32. I wonder how impressive a battle backdrop you could make based on a location like Nugget Bridge though...

33. Visuals look decent enough i think

34. GiantBreadbug

GiantBreadbug

Shinies and gender differences.

Ideally it would just show the immediate overworld. With graphics like these on a machine like Switch, separately loaded battle backdrops should be going away.

35. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

we saw like 6 battle BGs though....

edit;
    i'm not mocking your post.
    just noticed the copying

36. Rotimi

Rotimi

This.

I don't want another disaster like X/Y. Always wanted them to take their time. Let's go are nice stopgaps before the 2019 release.

37. Were any of them in a location that could lend itself to impressive back drops?

38. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

well if they put the resources all of them could.

I mean,

A factory
    a cave
    grassland
    bridge
    ocean
    S.S. Anne?

only the S.S Anne could maybe have an excuse to be boring. Since it's closed off and just doors, stairs, etc.

All the others are ripe for scale.

39. Mitchman

Mitchman

He states it was before the Switch release. That could be in December of 2016, or January.
    I was there playing Go from the start. It didn't pan out in the sense that none of the content was there as advertised, Raids, Legendary Pokemon, connectivity with the main games, etc. If it DID pan out entirely with its original vision coming out day and date in 2016, Pokemon Let's Go would have been there a couple of months later on the 3DS instead of Sun and Moon. I fully believe they could have seen this coming early enough to dial down SM to the 3DS before the reveal, and put this on a back burner until the time came to comfortably release on the Switch. I mean the concept of a Gen 1 only companion mainline game to Pokemon Go really only makes sense if you told me it released two years ago, before the Johto and Hoenn expansions, and that Lets Go Pikachu 2 and Lets Go Eevee 2 are on the horizon with Johto Pokemon and the Johto region.

And this is another thing. If the game was being developed after SM was in its final stages, why is it still using the pseudo grid from Gen 6? And don't tell me nostalgia, if this was fully developed using SM's engine, going back tk the pseudo grid of Gen 6 would require redundant amounts of work to downgrade the engine again. As for the map, yeah I can see them expanding it a bit. I am pretty sure from the QA Masuda said its not entirely the same map.

40. Rei

Rei

When you look at it that way sure. But it's just a spin-off game. They did mention their focus on this one is for home console experience, rather than the usual handheld experience which is the 2019 game.

They also mentioned that it's for those Pokemon Go fans, which I think is pretty much the main target audience for this game. From the crappy Pokemon Go to Let's Go, is a pretty big step up for that particular fan base. Capitalizing on the popularity of Go, to gain more hardware sales for the Switch, as well as gaining more game sales for the future main Pokemon titles. I don't see much wrong in what they are doing.

What you're saying is mostly thinking it's the mainline title. While I get that, but those stuff should be mentioned again when the 2019 game comes out, not this spin-off title. The option for casual and hardcore should be there yes, I just don't think there will much on this game like how it usually is. It is as I've mentioned a small taste of what the 2019 game could be. I don't even think the graphic will even be identical in the main game, and you can bet your ass that the main game will be catering for both casuals and hardcore fans as it usually is.

41. Hmm, I suppose what I mean to say is that of the backdrops we've seen the scale seems to match the scale of the overworld.
    This is probably something deliberate on Game Freak's part.
    Whether that is a good thing I'll leave up for debate.

Perhaps if the overworld gets a scale boost in gen 8, then so will the battle backdrops.

42. Mitchman

Mitchman

Nope. Nugget Bridge, SS Anne, and I am prett sure the Pokemon Tower all look like they have a bigger scale in battle then what the overworld has. Its still a big difference.

43. Aprikurt

Aprikurt

I think if you were going to go back to Kenton (again) it would have been nice to make it more of an expansive effort, a reimagining rather than an almost 1:1 tile recreation, as others have said.

That being said, the gameplay looks smooth, it finally shakes up the core game a little, and my very first game was Pokemon Yellow. It’ll be hard to resist this one honestly.

I’m kind of a sucker for the motion Pokemon capture as well. Does anybody else not realise that this is the manifestation of all our ridiculous “If you hold Down + B the Pokemon are caught easier!!!” rumours from childhood?

44. Idolvo

Idolvo

After BW2 there's no excuse for GF to not include a hard mode, it was a ton of fun.

45. Sure, but seemingly not to an extent where the difference becomes too large.
    Though, this is of course highly subjective.

46. eonden

eonden

An engine should be capable of creating grid or non grid design. An engine is just a tool to create a game (and creating a grid like map in a complex engine is still quite possible and easy). Pokemon SM having the pokemon walking animations clearly points that this game was developed after / at the same time of it, and it was decided it was not possible in 3ds (probably due to framerate and being hard to display big pokemon in a correct scale in that screen).
    And as for the map... The main issue is that even areas that could be greatly enhanced to improve the feeling of uniqueness hadnt (such as mount moon which looked like a cave or the bridge route being a normal bridge), as well as keeping a quite confined space that seems more interested in replicating the original maps than taking into account the new mechanics (visible encounters + tight spaces is horrible, as well as the big pokemon seeminglt ocupying a TON of space). I hope that if they continue the Lets Go franchise as you said (with gen 2 in teh future), they try to make it a little bit more natural and bigger areas (even if they more or less replicate the maps).

47. AzureFlame

AzureFlame

probably according to their weird researchs, no one used it.

but seriously GF are known to leave many great features behind mostly with no reason other than "no one uses them".

48. Rotimi

Rotimi

Very interesting theory, but am sure that's not how it went down based on reports

49. I wonder if kanto mega's are in i guess they are probs end game content.

Or would they debalance the game heavily?
    Wonder if any z moves will be in aswell.

50. Revolsin

Revolsin