1. Jade1962

Jade1962

He disagreed you didn't like that and appealed to authority for a mere prediction. That Alexx was being a fanboy about it but the poster on the first page dissented and you came out guns blazing.
    No going to get hung up on this but I don't think you are the arbiter of who has an agenda and what it maybe.

2. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus

A top 10 with No Pokemon ? How ?

There is no way Spidermam sells more than Pokemon.

And I don’t think Fallout 76 will sell that much.

3. MysticGon

MysticGon

They probably separate the sales?

4. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus

I was thinking that. Any idea why the sales of Pokemon are counted as distinct game ?

5. Any reason why they can't just combine the Pokemon sku's together for the purpose of ranking?

6. Sebastopa

Sebastopa

GAF believed the Wii U would be a success, let that sink in.

7. lmcfigs

lmcfigs

Yeah I’m not sure why. We don’t usually do it for games with more than one version.

8. MysticGon

MysticGon

Haven't the slightest clue. They'll probably mention combined sales in a monthly report though, just not track them combined.

9. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

not sure. I think it could with digital
    without it I'll say no I suppose

here's the YTD so far

1. Far Cry 5
    2. God of War 2018
    3. Monster Hunter: World
    4. Call of Duty: WWII
    5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
    6. Grand Theft Auto V
    7. NBA 2K18
    8. MLB 18: The Show
    9. Mario Kart 8*
    10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^

10. tutomos

tutomos

PS4 hardware does well when there're big third-party games coming out. Red Dead is going to sell well, but don't forget Black Ops traditionally has sold really well compare to other COD entries. Battlefield, NBA, and Assassin's Creed will all help PS4 and XBOX. Even without Spiderman I can see PS4 come out on top in hardware sales. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise yet.

11. DeathyG

DeathyG

It all depends this holiday. We already saw how a $199 PS4 sells. If Sony does that again on Black Friday, there's no doubt who will be #1.

12. sora bora

sora bora

Do we have a reasonable estimate of PS4 lifetime sales?

I'm curious if it's trajectory has it surpassing the Wii/PSOne and if so, how close to the PS2. I know the latter isn't going to happen (~150m, iirc) but with the former, I believe those two just crossed the 100m threshold.

13. Andri

Andri

It depends very much on when PS5 releases.

PS4 is definitively gonna hit 100m though, since they are around 80m and expect to sell another 16m this FY.

14. sora bora

sora bora

Thank you. In totality, Sony's had an incredible run with their first four home consoles. Is there any precedent for that in the industry?

15. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief
    Member OP

It's definitely crossing Wii and PS1 lifetime sales. It'll probably have done it by this time next year.
    I think Gameboy/Color level final sales is not unreasonable to expect

No, there is no precedent. No one has managed to have as consistent a run of home consoles as Sony.

16. Andri

Andri

Home consoles not, though there are only 3 major companies that even made 4 or more home consoles.

Sega, whose consoles died by the time they released the fourth one(dreamcast).

Nintendo, who declined by the 4th(GC), even though they rebounded pretty well with the one after that.

And Sony.

If you look at handhelds Nintendo definitively was pretty successful with all four of their handheld gens(GB/GBC, GBA,DS,3DS) with all of them above 70m and it looking very likely that 3DS will hit 80m too, thus bringing all of their handhelds above 80m at the very least.

Dedicated home consoles is a relatively small circle, and its very hard to break into, just look at the only companies people think could jump in(Google,Apple) its the biggest tech giants, but even for them its a hard thing.

17. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief
    Member OP

Addendum: Atari also hit four home consoles (2800, 5200, 7800, Jaguar). Although I can't blame you for forgetting about that.

18. allan-bh

allan-bh

I'm saying in the last couple months, sales are just OK, far from great.

But the major factor for me not believe in Switch being the best seller isn't that will not sell well, but that PS4 will sell big too and it's already ahead YTD.

19. Curufinwe

Curufinwe

What percentage of GAF thought that?

20. Sounding like it's gonna be a pretty great year for the business side of the industry, if all goes to expectations!

I feel like we're gonna see continued growth of physical games until next-gen launches -- but then I think it depends on how much storage the introductory SKUs included. If they're massive hard drives (2TB+), then I think digital will see a decent uptick when next gen starts. If they're still low to keep costs down (1TB), then I think physical will stay strong but start seeing low-percentage (2-4%) declines in year-over-year as digital starts to outpace. I don't think physical starts losing growth until the base hardware available can satiate enthusiast-level games consumption right out of the box. Most people build their customizable gaming PC with tons of storage in mind for this express reason, and I think it might be a relatively unspoken bottleneck for digital in the console space at this time, especially with the move to 4K assets really upping the storage impact of some titles. There are a plethora of other concerns (like DRM and online connectivity and ISP data caps), but I think out-of-box capabilities really determine how peripheral spending occurs on platforms, extending to the way people buy software and accessories. I am interested to see how Switch digital sales maybe throw a wrench in my speculation with just 32GB on-board storage, but to my knowledge, that information isn't shared? And microSD card pricing is relatively comparable to the external storage expansion options on PS4 and XB1, though the base price of the Switch being lower kinda helps soften the blow a bit.

21. Andri

Andri

What is an Atari?

Didnt that just get crowdfunded ?

22. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

GAF also believed the Switch was dead on arrival with its $300 price tag.

Six, actually -- Atari VCS/2600, 5200, 7800, XEGS, Lynx, and Jaguar. And I will slap you silly over the internets if you try to discount the Lynx...

23. It was only April and May that the PS4 beat the Switch, and that was mostly thanks to GoW. Now that the hype has died down a bit, PS4 sales should even out, and the Switch should give it much stiffer competition as more of its bigger titles arrive for the year. That is of course, unless GoW has Nintendo-esque legs that last years.

24. sora bora

sora bora

My fairly arbitrary bar for success was higher than my post implied. For example, the SNES essentially lost half the market to Sega vis a vis its predecessor. The N64 and NGC only continued that market share decline, iirc. Sega never got close to their Genesis. Microsoft did well with the 360 but that is bookmarked by the OG Xbox and XB1. And the 360 matched or just finished above the PS3. The latter console is Sony's lowest performer at 80m+ which is what made me think that across that four system span, it's been a remarkable run.

25. Wander_

Wander_

okay but MK is outselling MH every month now and surely will keep selling more for the entire year and by a huge margin, especially in Nov and Dec

26. MrTired

MrTired

January is the only month the Switch outsold the Switch. Also February, April and May it outsold by more than 50k.

Highly improbable, the gap between the two titles is too great.

27. Well I'd like to see the Switch go on to reach those heights. A huge chunk of this year has been fairly slow so that hasn't exactly helped it. At the very least, the holidays should be pretty strong and next year should be far better. The PS4 is still a beast, despite being so old now, so it'll give the Switch a lot of competition going into the holidays, especially with it outselling the Switch YTD

I believe the PS4 also beat it out in February. Not that I necessarily disagree with the rest of the post. I think the two will be fairly close, at the very least, especially for an aging system in the case of the PS4, and, by the time the PS5 is out, the Switch will have or should have begun to sell faster than the PS4

28. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief
    Member OP

Only counting consoles, lol

29. slavesnyder

slavesnyder

those are two completely unrelated titles. of course they are separated in sales statistics.

30. shark97

shark97

Sure, you'll always have "those guys" the rabid Nintendo loyalists, but I believe in general the tone on Wii U was pretty negative.

Some people seem to notice a minority held position and ascribe it to the majority, the "people thought switch would fail for being $300" seems another case. I think generally people were positive on Switch, including even me who turns a jaded eye to Nintendo.

31. Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

No it wasn't "Nintendo loyalists". The thinking was that it was the successor to the Wii. Even if it didn't hit those heights, it should still do well enough.

32. olubode

olubode

They have dropped the prices for consoles and handhelds for the Black Friday shopping season in the past.

33. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

(Slapping over internet commences)

34. I remember the reception being more mixed than anything.

35. Zelas

Zelas

Hopefully this is enough to stop the concern trolling about RDR2's sales and not understanding the need for games to get out of its way.

36. DMVfan123

DMVfan123

"The sales of my plastic box are more impressive than yours!"
    "No, the sales of my plastic box are more impressive!"
    Experts are predicting that all three consoles will do well this holiday season, and ResetEra still figures out a way to console war. This site sometimes, woof
    Anyway, if the Switch outsells the PS4 in 2 months with Pokemon and Smash leading the charge after the PS4's won NPD since February and with heavy hitters like Red Dead Redemption 2, Marvel's Spider-Man, Fallout 76, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Black Ops 4, Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the annual sports titles, and games that released earlier like God of War and Monster Hunter World...dumbfounded would be an understatement

37. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

Just a reminder that this is a thing:
    This is a year after the Wii's launch, mind.

38. Mikey Jr.

Mikey Jr.

Man, PS3 really was in the garbage bin, wasn't it?

They really did deserve all that failure. They got stupid, and got fucking checked, hard.

39. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus

I think Call of Duty will sell more than Read Dead. The “Battle Royal” effect will be huge !

40. Saint-14

Saint-14

You really think it’s amazing for a newly released console to outsell a 5 years old one? Specially one that is forecasted to sell less than the Switch in the first place, I think I’d call that expected.

Isn’t RDR2 rumored to have a BR mode as well? I believe some people are overestimating how BR will do in these games.

41. Regret

Regret

Who cares if it is "amazing?" And yes, the successor to one of their worst performing consoles (that succeeded their best performing one, ironically) outselling one that has a high userbase and momentum is actually pretty impressive.

42. D.Lo

D.Lo

Not really. The PS3 was a nuclear bomb for two years and only got to its total (still coming last in the generation from the numbers we have) through sheer attrition and massive reinvestment by Sony on an insane scale to the tune of ~$5 billion net in losses. PS3 wiped out the entire profits of the PS2. So they had a good run with two consoles, the greatest money loser of all time for the third, and rebounded with the fourth, so I wouldn't call it consistent in any way.

43. MatPiscatella

MatPiscatella
    The NPD Group - Video Game Industry Analyst Verafied

What's amazing is that the prediction of Switch being the #1 selling console this year has been called either a very obvious, easy prediction or the dumbest prediction ever made. Now that's amazing. And pretty funny.

44. Saint-14

Saint-14

I like how you ignored everything about the system heading towards the end of its life, sales slowing down is normal, it also should be an expected result since both companies gave their forecast.

MatPiscatella no one is really calling it dumb, we know what they have forecasted this year.

45. Instro

Instro

Outside of the most ardent Nintendo fanboys, most people saw the thing as an oncoming disaster by the time it launched.

46. D.Lo

D.Lo

There are levels though. I knew it would not sell as well as the Wii, but pretty much no one thought it would sell quite as badly as it did. The Wii name alone surely would get it 20 million was my thinking. Even 40-50 million would have been a huge drop from the Wii, but to sell only 13% of its predecessor? Insane.

47. Toxi

Toxi

A Monster Hunter game is likely to be in the top 10 best selling games in North America this year. Crazy.

For the first time in a while, Nintendo will be at the top of the console market in North America. Not as crazy, but still a testament to the Switch's success. The fact that there's only one Switch game predicted to be in the top 10 makes it even more impressive.

48. LegendofLex

LegendofLex

This is also kind of an apples to oranges comparison, given how out of sync the hardware release cycles are. A Switch-PS4 comparison in Year 2 of Switch and Year 5 for PS4 isn't going to shake out the same as a Wii-PS3-Xbox comparison in Years 2 (for PS3/Wii) and 3 (for Xbox).

No Switch games are predicted to be in the top 10.

49. I just find it weird how before E3 people were saying it would get there with Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Smash Bros. Then after when Mario Party gets announced for October and Fortnite and Warframe are coming to it, these games won’t be able to help? It’s kinda strange.

I feel like a holiday lineup of:

Pokémon Let’s Go
    Super Mario Party
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    Warframe
    Fifa19
    NBA2k19
    DBZFighters
    Torna the Golden Country

Is very strong and can get the Switch there.

50. Saint-14

Saint-14

He’s probably counting NBA.