1. Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Yeah thats a good point.

2. Y’all do realize gamekult is like the strictest review group out all of them right? Getting a 6 from them means it’s good. They don’t just hand out 8-10 like most reviews. Unless it’s an event-like-game(think Breath of the Wild or Last of Us). It’s not getting higher than a 7.

3. DMVfan123

DMVfan123

What the hell is wrong with y’all? 84 Meta is a great score! I swear, exclusives make people on this site insane

4. Phonzo

Phonzo

Thats the most LOL part of it all. They essentially have identical scores. So i guess everyone in this thread saying NNK2 is terribad is hyperbolic as well.

5. Tfritz

Tfritz

Maybe reviewers should add "IMO" to the beginning and end of each sentence.

6. BlueManifest

BlueManifest

If some people say it’s repetitive aren’t they kind of doing that to themselves? Why don’t just do 1 character then go explore some before you start the next character? Isn’t the game open to do what you want?

If there’s a way to make it repetitive and you do it then it will be, just play 4 characters instead of all 8 if 8 is too repetitive for you

7. Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Whats the average playtime?

8. Clix

Clix

Jeremy Parish loves all those games and he loves it and has been raving about it on Twitter.

9. Phonzo

Phonzo

I don't know who they are but i prefer a more realistic scoring system like that. I sick of 10s and 100s being thrown around for every hyped game now.

10. Legacy

Legacy

85 on MC is very good, I'm still getting the game. Some people in thread seem to have lost their damn minds though.

11. LordKano

LordKano

Yep. They stopped being part of Metacritic because of that. MC essentially excludes anyone that isn't part of the US norm.

12. ElephantShell

ElephantShell
    10,000,000 Member

IMO they shouldn't but that's just IMO

13. Fuchsia

Fuchsia

Are we really trashing Jason from Kotaku because he happened to feel like there were some flaws in two JRPGs he's recently played?

Really?

We're better than this.

Opinions are opinions. Nothing more, nothing less.

14. ccieag

ccieag

Look, I am not a fan of Schreier - it's pretty obvious we don't see eye to eye, especially since he liked FFXV, yet considers Xenoblade trash ... However, his opinion is still a valid one. I'm just glad to see it is definitely in the minority here

He actually liked FFVI, so he can't be all bad ;)

15. Interfectum

Interfectum

I read some people were cancelling their pre-order so I bought it off the eshop. Reviews sound great. Will be jumping in after babies go to sleep.

16. Phonzo

Phonzo

what does one have to do with the other?

17. deepFlaw

deepFlaw

It’s almost like obsessing over scores, particularly in aggregate, is a misguided endeavor when there is no shared rubric (which would be ridiculous) and unscored reviews also matter.

Pointing to the metacritic score like it makes any game legitimately good or not is silly. All it says is that, of the reviews that gave a score, whatever they individually prioritized ended up being high, even if the they all just happened to prioritize parts they liked and they thought the parts others liked were actually bad. The people looking at reviews and deciding the game isn’t for them aren’t wrong for doing so even if the reviews are “85/100”, because they can decide what aspects they prioritize and who they’re likely to align with, which is what anyone who actually cares about reviews and not just the numbers attached to them should do. You could even look at a negative review and think “oh, I’d actually like that” (which... some people are doing to Jason’s, but maybe without actual nuance).

And then there’s that I’m someone who tends to enjoy janky games as long as I appreciate enough of what the game is. It’s unfortunate that a lot of the problems here seem to be in areas I do care about more, but in general, there are lot of games that I’m fond of that people would call bad. So a lower metacritic score on those games also means nothing to me.

And this all won’t matter years later anyway. There’s lots of games whose names get tossed around like everyone agreed they were trash when they reviewed highly, which is always a bit funny. And there’s lots of games that I think are pretty terrible that got good reviews, and maybe even others still speak of them fondly regardless. And like I said, there’s games that reviewed terribly that I love.

It’s all down to finding out what you care about in games, and who you agree (or disagree) with that is able to convey that in a way that’s clear enough that you can think through and judge what your own enjoyment and feelings might be.

18. Sander VF

Sander VF

I think they could’ve borrowed from Canterbury Tales even more and give us the narrative set-up of these characters sitting together at a tavern tellling each other their stories.

The presence of the listeners in their flashbacks would have been contextualized as them imagining themselves in one another’s tale.

19. steviejd1

steviejd1

They are probably talking about places like Amazon who seem to struggle with launch day delivery so people have been cancelling their preorders so they can buy it on the day or digitally.

20. Mr.Fletcher

Mr.Fletcher

I think people should take Metacritic with a grain of salt. You’ve got different sites, with different scoring scales.

4/5 becomes 8/10...

What’s the difference between an 84, 85, 86? Next to nothing in reality.

As we all know, it’s the content of the review that is important, not the score.

21. ThankDougie

ThankDougie

this. y'all should listen to this. the more i read about this game, including what people dislike, the more I think it's for me

22. Not all the scores are in but places like USGamer and Game Ibformer sound like they love it. USGamer called it a summer gem and gameinformwr person sounds like it’s the best thing that has happen to them.
    I think it’ll end with an 85 which is very good.

Now are the flaws in this game sad? Yes it stinks. However, we are probably in the minority to begin with. The majority audience will probably see the 84 and be like, “hey that sounds great”.

Anyway what I’m saying is the game is making this year better.

We had a
    Great Mario Tennis Game(with some more content makes it top 2 in series).

Good Kirby Game

And a Great JRPG from Square Enix

It’s been a good year so far exclusive wise imo

23. deepFlaw

deepFlaw

The first bit, telling tales at the tavern, is apparently what the story chapters more or less are, actually. So it’s just unfortunate that it seemingly doesn’t really go for the second part here at all.

24. Hmm, gamespot review says boss battles can take 30 minutes. Kotaku review says if you make one mistake on a turn in a boss battle you will probably loose? That sounds extremely difficult. Like... more than I was expecting to at least clear the main story. I’ll have to think about this.

I don’t mind a challenge, but I don’t want to loose nearly an hours worth of time if I fuck up...

25. Totakeke

Totakeke

That's still a fairly big disconnect that can be described by nothing less than "weird", which is also what it can be described by now.

26. MikeNeko

MikeNeko

Bravely default was quite grindy, it took me 4/5 years to come close to the end with my portable play rythm (portable classic style JRPGs are for summer hollidays ! and i have not yet finished it... but i am very close i can feel it).
    I'll buy Octopath though, even though it may again take years to complete, at least some of the paths will have their closure met gradually if i understood well the thing that paths are independent xD

27. H-I-M

H-I-M

A 6 from gamekult is NOT good.

28. falcondoc

falcondoc

This thread is packed full with concern trolls hating on the game.

All I know is that it looks good - great reviews with 85 MC!

29. I'm too old for this shit thread, lol.

30. I mean they use full scale but alright.

31. Bosh

Bosh

Seriously, this thread is commical the way people are going at it from either angle. Not every game is going to be "best game of all time". The reviews say the game is either good/decent. I am not getting it right away , my rpg backlog is far to large, but I would be happy to see mid 80 scores if I was a dev.

Playing the demo for 3 hours should easily give a user good feelings if they will enjoy the game or not. Reviewers are just stating how they felt after playing the game.

If the reader didn't know that already I think they might have a bigger problem haha

32. Nights

Nights

This is making me glad I preordered. So glad that apparently it's supposed to be coming today rather than tomorrow, along with Capitan Todd and the Splatoon 2 Pack Amiibos.

............. Unfortunately around the time my post delivers packages I have a doctors appointment so I won't be home. So I might not be able to get them a day early anyway. :c

33. '3y Kingdom

'3y Kingdom

Yes, making it "decent". Certainly not bad, though.

34. Hecht

Hecht
    Even the good stars can fall from grace and falter Administrator

Can’t wait to finally get this downloaded

I also wish Metacritic would get nuked from orbit

35. LordKano

LordKano

It is good. Period.

36. jschreier

jschreier
    Press Sneak Fuck Verafied

I've never had a boss battle take that long. Maybe if you're not taking advantage of weaknesses?

37. SeanR1221

SeanR1221

Already have my copy pre loaded! Can’t wait!!!

38. scare_crow

scare_crow

Ahahahahaha. I'm a "hater" because... I'm not fawning over the game?

39. Lump

Lump

I’m glad there was a 3 hour demo of this game for me to know it’s a must-play by my tastes. I might’ve passed or waited until I forgot about it if I just went by reviews.

40. Thanks Jason. That’s reassuring. What’s the cost for death/screwing up? Reload and re-try? Loose some xp etc?

41. lowlifelenny

lowlifelenny

I like all those games and I like this too.

42. Owl

Owl

So reddit is saying the post game is likely gated behind sidequests. That would make sense since it seems no reviewer has heard that final battle theme yet even though there are some big hints that there is a final area to go to. Looks like something we'll probably not know until we get our hands on it ourselves. I remember the rush of getting a review out has hampered some other jrpg's scores as well since the genre often offers a lot outside the main story. It's just not a genre you should be rushing.

43. Totakeke

Totakeke

Are we sure most of those tracks are not just the tracks of the bosses at the shrines? The guy posting videos from gamefaqs already has all four jobs without beating the main game.

44. scare_crow

scare_crow

Amen. I feel silly for how much I've participated.

45. steviejd1

steviejd1

For the same reason that I'm a "guardian" because I am being positive about the game, yes.

46. Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Oooh nice.
    Any reports on play time?

47. Seth_M

Seth_M

There is an area with a level 58 danger rating. I was not able to so much as survive a battle with my party, with only one character over level 50 and the others in the mid to upper 40s. It's just there. I found it on my own exploring. You can see on the map where places are, and when you find them they get an icon over them.

48. Popetita

Popetita

One review from a journalist I like and respect? For sure it is going to make me doubt the purchase.

I had the same reaction to that review.

49. Owl

Owl

It's hard to keep track but I'm pretty sure someone has battled them (but wasn't able to beat them yet) said that the final battle track didn't play during it. Maybe as a 2nd phase of one of those boss battles, but it just seems very odd to me that you have those high level shrines that unlock what they unlock, and not have a final dungeon to really make use of it.

50. Big_Erk

Big_Erk

It's the only way to be sure.

51. Neoweee

Neoweee

There's a whole bunch of signs now that there is a True Ending hidden away.

52. BorkBork

BorkBork

If the game acknowledged the character self-insertions into another's story that might be fine and even fun, but yeah, it would require a deft touch and a lot of connective dialogue. Maybe they wanted to do that and realized how much work it would be and just abandoned the pretense after the initial bit? No idea.