1. More sales does not mean better. Critically speaking in the gaming industry I don't think it will go down as another 2017 unless we do not know something. Of course NSMB will sell well for example, but it will go down as another full priced port job with less effort put into it then other port with the deluxe tag MK8D, a 2017 game

Just because it will sell well doesn't mean the gaming community will even so much as reflect on it at the end of 2019 outside of Bowsette talk

Hopefully we get a Link Between Worlds (Zelda smash costume! I cling on to hope) along with some 3ds teams producing their new games like you say though

2. Braaier

Braaier

If that is the case why didn't they show the game at the last direct?

3. Trevelyan

Trevelyan

It's how Nintendo operates. They could have easily shown off Smash in the April direct, but they didn't, and lo and behold, the game is releasing 8 months later. I see the same happening for AC. Tease now, full gameplay in Dec/Jan direct and then release somewhere in March-May.

4. Have any insiders commented on this other than Pixelpar?

5. Black_Red

Black_Red

I mean if you focus just on the gaming community from forums you might me right, but a game that sells A LOT MORE and its good will make more people happy with their purchase.

Like, Im not the biggest fan of animal crossing, but it really is one of the biggest nintendo franchises and even if it doesnt review like Zelda, is just as important if not more important.

Same with Pokemon, it will not review like odysey, but it will sell close to 20M and its the most important game from Nintendo Handhelds (Hell, its the reson I bought a switch and even if Mario Odyssey its the best game of the gen for me the switch isnt jsutified until gen 8 is out).

6. srtrestre

srtrestre

Next year could potentially be insane for Switch. Might even be in the running for one of the best Nintendo years ever.

7. Coolduderedux

Coolduderedux

That would be fantastic if it came out that early

8. Pancakes R Us

Pancakes R Us

I hope you’re right. I just feel Metroid is a bit too hardcore for most of the Nintendo audience and then it’s not a proper FPS as such and nothing like the typical games which arw popular at the moment. Having said that, I hope all of these things work to it’s favour. In any case, really looking forward to it. So much so that I may go on a complete blackout and not even watch the first trailer.

9. Odeko

Odeko

I am so, so ready. 2019 is going to be insane.

10. Conrad Link

Conrad Link

Please be true! I want Animal Crossing Switch as soon as possible!! :D

11. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

I think the FY lineup is set. Imo, if AC was apart of it, it would've been announced a little earlier . The way it's set up now, we won't see a game releasing by March until January?? That seems very unlikely (unless there was a surprise AC only direct in 2018, which I highly doubt).

The only question about the FY lineup is FE and Yoshi (I say Yoshi is in, FE unlikely).
    so that's my reasoning.

12. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario

2019 looks too good to be true frankly, so I'm trying not to think about it. But even if Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 get pushed out (Platinum usually delivers on time but I could see MP4 end in development hell for some time), we still have the rumored Star Fox Racing and Ridge Racer to look forward to. I doubt SMTV will be there though.

13. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

I mean, we didn't know about a game like NSMBU Deluxe until September and that's launching 4 months later. Last year we had Bayo 1+2 announced 2 months before they launched.

I get that those are ports though and don't need as much marketing/detailing but I don't see why we should assume the FY schedule is all set. I still think something like MPT HD has a good shot at launching in February for instance.

But yeah I think if this rumor is accurate April is more likely anyway.

14. Please don't do this to me. :(

15. Dremorak

Dremorak

The sooner in the year they start the more events we can cover that year. Sounds good to me :D

16. I guess I'm just not taking the "is good" part to heart yet with how little we've seen of some of these games. 2d mario, pokemon, animal crossing will sell even if it is just a small step up, guess I'm thinking more in terms of enthusiasts and how things will go down in the history of gaming.

If those sequels are all very strong then yeah, but even then it'll be hard to top the BOTW is the greatest of all time talk that goes on even outside of gaming forums. Splatoon is huge. Mario Kart is huge. Mainline Mario huge. I know pokemon is a big part of the discussion but we do get a pokemon installment the vast majority of years, just doesn't seem as special as a return to sandbox Mario or a complete change around for Zelda. It has a big dedicated base that will be going crazy over an HD pokemon but unless they change more then I think they will not the same pageantry in my eyes I guess it would to the people that are fans, I mean Pokemon biggest IP globally isn't it?

I see your point though, among people in a general sense 2019 has potential to be massive. Among enthusiasts and in terms of quality 2017 is hard to beat still.

I have pretty niche tastes I guess with HollowKnight and Celeste being my game of the year so far (yes I have other consoles, still two of my favorite games of all time) so I shouldn't project that on others

17. Mory Dunz

Mory Dunz

I didn't mean set as in we know the entire lineup right now. I meant set as in Nintendo has it generally set barring delays or whatever. And I don't think AC was planned for Q1.
    I can see games announced, but as you noted, it'd be smaller titles or ports.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn

Another 5 years guaranteed. Sooner is sweet, but I want them to go all out and really have it polished and fully featured.

19. Kcannon

Kcannon

Well, Metroid Prime 3 sold only 1m on the Wii. Super and Fusion didn't even break 2m in two reasonably popular consoles. All of those were critically-acclaimed too.

Pretty sure Prime 4 would need to be more than just Prime to sell well.

20. ZugZug123

ZugZug123

Will wait and see on official announcement. We waited for so long, as long as it's a 2019 release I will be happy.

21. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I should temper what I said. I fully expect both to be the best selling in their respective series. I see Metroid Prime 4 around 5 million and Luigi’s Mansion 3 around 7 million.

22. Zedark

Zedark

I see, that's seems reasonable. Both Luigi's Mansion games have sold around 5 million, and I think Switch can add a million or two on top. Metroid Prime will depend on which features are included and which aren't, but 5 million should be possible I think if it has some form of online multiplayer.

23. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

I have no idea if NateDrake has any info in this or is making a joke but:

24. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I’m interested to see if they put online multiplayer for MP4 and if they do what kind will it be.

25. Snarfington

Snarfington

Give it to me as soon as you feel it's ready. Don't compromise on it, but please don't hold it back at all!

26. Rion

Rion

To the few people of the 13 that quoted me (lol). I more meant the sheer numbers of new exclusive games vs 2017. Most of us are disappointed with 2018 vs 2017 but I for one expected it. Nintendo simply don't have the development manpower to have output like 2017 (and 2019) every single year.

If they can have exclusive output like that every second year with good, meaty DLC and WiiU ports to fill the 'gap years' I'll be more than happy with my Switch.

27. DeathPeak

DeathPeak

"Why didn't they show it during [some event]?"

Why does a game need to be shown so many months out? I personally get more excited when I know a game is coming sooner rather than later. I hope this rumor is true.

28. NateDrake

NateDrake

The information is inaccurate.

29. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Nate confirmed he’s Tom Nook.

30. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

That sucks. Well I hope Nintendo is still going to come out swinging in the first 4 months.

31. Denman

Denman

I think a March release would give me a little more faith in hitting 20million this fiscal year. An early-mid March release would really push units in Japan and probably give a booster in NA (as opposed to, well, the 'nothing' they have announced not for March)

32. TheDinoman

TheDinoman

welp

party's over folks, go home

33. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

That’s a strike against Pixelpar’s source. I usually give some leeway for insiders and sources to get some stuff “wrong” due to misinformation or if plans change.

34. Dany1899

Dany1899

I think a summer release is more likely, giving Fire Emblem space in Q1. Anyway Animal Crossing should absolutely release before Pokémon, which I suppose will be the Nintendo hit for Q4 and I'm sure the audience is very similar.

35. I hope so, excited for this.

36. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

It looks like the information is wrong.

37. Simba1

Simba1

On side that Nintendo said they planing Switch has longer life span than usual 6 years, we are definatly getting next new 3D probably around 2021. from several points, first Switch is unified platform for Nintendo so that means all resources for games are just for one platform, second Zelda BotW is Switch launch game so there is plenty of time for new 3D Zelda in any case before next gen (probably Switch 2).
    Saying that, I expecting they will reuse BotW engine and assets (so similar to MM compared to OoT) and gave us new 3D Zelda in 2020.

I think they didnt want to put too much focus on Animal Crossing because its next year game and to distract people in any way from this year holiday season that actualy giving huge focus (Mario Party, Pokemon LG and espacily Smas Bros).
    They simple acknowledged that new AC game is coming next year.
    Saying all that, even before this rumour I was thinking that AC will be released in first half of 2019. while Pokemon gen 8 during holiday season.

Nintendo changed quite a bit from 2010. especially with Switch when comes to timing of reveal, marketing and launch.

Not necessarily.

38. Ah, should have read the whole thread. Back to new leaf for now.

39. That would be amazing but it just feels like they would have shown more of it by now then.

Maybe they’ve got a reveal ready for The Keighleys, but even that feels... off. Maybe a summer release though? That would be cool.

40. Kouriozan

Kouriozan

It would certainly be disappointing if we have to wait another one full year for this game.
    It's been 6 years since the last mainline Animal Crossing now, 7 next year, this is a way too long wait.

41. Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

Probably a summer game then.

Or maybe holiday game with a price drop of switch, the perfect way to open to a demographic still under represented on switch...

42. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

Ah thanks for chiming in.

I've always thought June or July seemed pretty likely, I'm gonna assume it's around there for now.

43. ThatsMyTrunks

ThatsMyTrunks

I would like this to be the case.

44. Khanimus

Khanimus

I don't buy it. Yoshi, NSMBU, and Fire Emblem seem like early year releases, but Animal Crossing is probably summer.