Travesty that Tekken doesn't get more industry recognition compared to other fighting games

Oct 25, 2017
Really a shame imo. What else does this franchise need to do for industry recognition?? Over 47 MILLION units of games sold since 1994. The latest installment has sold nearly 4 million. Tekken was at the forefront of graphics capability in the early days, and has been influential both in the Arcade scene and in the 3D fighting genre. As of Tekken 7 the series is still innovating. Slow-Mo has been a boon for the spectacle of the fight. Characters from around the world are designed with their traditions in mind and even speak in their Native language.

idk, thoughts? Seems like whenever awards season comes around MK and SF get their props, but Tekken stays under rated and appreciated despite its ENORMOUS success and influence.

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Injustice gets recognized cause it has famous Comic Book Heroes most people grew up or are at least aware of because of comic books.
Dragon Ball FighterZ gets recognized cause it has Dragon Ball Characters and has amazing gameplay overall.
Mortal Kombat gets recognized cause it has the bloodiest combat, has characters that became well known over time like Scorpion and Sub Zero plus the combat.
Street Fighter gets recognized cause most people who have seen or haven't played it at least know who Ryu is.
Soul Calibur gets recognized cause most people who owned a GameCube or bought future versions have fond memories playing with special console specific characters like Link etc.
Smash gets recognized cause almost everyone who was a gamer as a kid played Melee, Brawl, Smash 64 and you know, Nintendo Characters.
Tekken gets recognized cause... of Yoshimitsu? lmao

Oct 28, 2017
Injustice gets recognized cause it has famous Comic Book Heroes most people grew up or are at least aware of because of comic books.
Dragon Ball FighterZ gets recognized cause it has Dragon Ball Characters and has amazing gameplay overall.
Mortal Kombat gets recognized cause it has the bloodiest combat, has characters that became well known over time like Scorpion and Sub Zero plus the combat.
Street Fighter gets recognized cause most people who have seen or haven't played it at least know who Ryu is.
Soul Calibur gets recognized cause most people who owned a GameCube or bought future versions have fond memories playing with special console specific characters like Link etc.
Smash gets recognized cause almost everyone who was a gamer as a kid played Melee, Brawl, Smash 64 and you know, Nintendo Characters.
Tekken gets recognized cause... of Yoshimitsu? lmao

This is me sadly lmaoooo

Wow...I'm just surprised that Street Fighter and it's eleventy billion variations of SF 2 alone haven't sold the most. Tekken's sold so much, yet for me it just kind of ceased to be a thing to get remotely excited about after Tekken 3 on PS1...weird.

Nov 3, 2017
On our top ten game of the year list I included 3 fighting games and Forza Horizon 4 and had many fellow writers on the team tell me straight up that fighting games and racing games CAN’T be game of the year candidates. It’s baffling as hell to me.

Oct 25, 2017
UK/FR
Oct 27, 2017
basically anything that isn't a console-centeric third person action adventure doesn't stand much of a chance
Basically. GOTY means nothing. It's the equivalent of winning Prom King/Queen. It's a popularity, mass appeal contest and it shouldn't be viewed as any metric of quality other than "this was very popular this year". At least Tekken has stayed at a pretty consistent high bar for quality over it's lifetime, which is a metric not many other franchises, even other prolific fighting series, can claim. That's what's actually important.

Oct 27, 2017
Basically. GOTY means nothing. It's the equivalent of winning Prom King/Queen. It's a popularity, mass appeal contest and it shouldn't be viewed as any metric of quality other than "this was very popular this year". At least Tekken has stayed at a pretty consistent high bar for quality over it's lifetime, which is a metric not many other franchises, even other prolific fighting series, can claim. That's what's actually important.
true. winning goty awards from random websites doesn't necessarily guarantee lasting popularity, success and relevance.

Oct 30, 2017
Tekken 7 came out the same year as injustice 2, NRS games are basically gonna mop so that's a lost cause.

Tekken Tag 2 came out 2012 and this was Tekken's best chance. But if you wanted a more technically sound fighter it released the same year as Virtua Fighter 5: Showdown and if you wanted a better video game then Persona 4 Arena was the choice. Plus TTT2 wasn't great.

Tekken 6 came out the same year as Street Fighter IV, no hope.

That's the stuff over the past decade. Tekken is just usually overshadowed.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but the franchise total is the point here. Not per single game.
Total franchise sales are a pretty useless metric, and if you want to gauge the popularity of a franchise as a whole then average sales per game will always be a better metric (although even that doesn't give the whole picture since popularity can change with time)

And it would still be smash regardless

Oct 25, 2017
Because Tekken is not as good or inspired as it used to be.

T7 is a game that caters only to the established fanbase. It can't compete with the likes of NRS or even capcom stuff in terms of appeal.
Every time a major Tekken 7 tournament ends I hear casuals talk about maybe playing more of the game. Tekken is still standing strong with other fighting games.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Really a shame imo. What else does this franchise need to do for industry recognition?? Over 47 MILLION units of games sold since 1994. The latest installment has sold nearly 4 million. Tekken was at the forefront of graphics capability in the early days, and has been influential both in the Arcade scene and in the 3D fighting genre. As of Tekken 7 the series is still innovating. Slow-Mo has been a boon for the spectacle of the fight. Characters from around the world are designed with their traditions in mind and even speak in their Native language.

idk, thoughts? Seems like whenever awards season comes around MK and SF get their props, but Tekken stays under rated and appreciated despite its ENORMOUS success and influence.
Isn’t Smash the best selling?

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thought it was pretty obvious that's why OP excluded it. Quality aside, it's enough of it's own thing that it's basically a different (sub)genre.
A subgenre that has a game that sold as much as Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.
The last time a fighting game sold that much we were flooded in copycats by budget devs.

At least Tekken has lots of games in it's subgenre.

Nov 2, 2017
A subgenre that has a game that sold as much as Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.
The last time a fighting game sold that much we were flooded in copycats by budget devs.

At least Tekken has lots of games in it's subgenre.
I admit it's always been baffling to me how few attempts have been made to copy Smash, especially since it's a platform exclusive series.

Oct 28, 2017
I admit it's always been baffling to me how few attempts have been made to copy Smash, especially since it's a platform exclusive series.
The time to have done that would have been after SSB64 or Melee when Smash Bros' feature set and roster were much more modest. Smash Bros has like a 20 year head start on competitors. There's no way any clone could come out and match up to an 80 character roster lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The time to have done that would have been after SSB64 or Melee when Smash Bros' feature set and roster were much more modest. Smash Bros has like a 20 year head start on competitors. There's no way any clone could come out and match up to an 80 character roster lol.
You don't need to match .... you only need to release on PC, XBox and PS4 xD

and on switch because people who like it would totally play something else too for variety.
Hell if they copy Meele you might even steal some switch smash players