Only 10% of purchases on Steam are done with via credit card, paypal, paysafe

Oct 26, 2017
Steam provides 100 Payment methods. Only 10% of purchases are done via credit card, paypal, paysafe. The remaining 90% of purchases are mostly done via cash. Your customers probably don't use credit cards.

Countries like Japan pay for their games that are different than the north american model. Japanese customers prefer to go in store to purchase a voucher. Japanese customers prefer to use cash. So Steam retail cards match the Japanese model for purchasing games.

https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-business-update-at-gdc-2019/

Nov 14, 2017
User warned: trolling inflammatory accusation and conspiracy theories
This just makes me think something I've long suspected: Steam is being used to launder cash. That's why there are so many garbage asset flip things on Steam.

Jun 28, 2018
Steam provides 100 Payment methods. Only 10% of purchases are done via credit card, paypal, paysafe. The remaining 90% of purchases are mostly done via cash. Your customers probably don't use credit cards.

Countries like Japan pay for their games that are different than the north american model. Japanese customers prefer to go in store to purchase a voucher. Japanese customers prefer to use cash. So Steam retail cards match the Japanese model for purchasing games.

https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-business-update-at-gdc-2019/
Since the second paragraph came before the first, on the live blog... is the statement about 10% just referring to Japan?

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me think something I've long suspected: Steam is being used to launder cash. That's why there are so many garbage asset flip things on Steam.
I've wondered the same thing.

Wouldn't the 30% cut that Steam takes (plus cost of developing an asset flip) make this a pretty inefficient way to launder cash, though? Or is that an expected cut for money laundering?

Feb 25, 2018
The pre-paid card thing is a nice option and ya in Japan just getting a credit card from what I heard is troublesome and that is why Sony requires it for you to buy Cero Z games on PSN (and also charges you 100 yen as well).

The lack of pre-paid cards is one of the things I would like for EGS to add and one of the things that I mentioned in the past keeping me from buying stuff from them

Dec 20, 2017
I would’nt dream of using a pre-paid card, and I find pay pal crap. Always used Credit Card being based in UK we have good consumer protection. But I suppose other countries are completely different.

Apr 3, 2018
One thing I never realized, as someone in the US, is how many payment methods Steam offers in other countries. More than just having regional pricing and taking local currencies it seems Steam tries to use local payment methods as well. I guess this goes with Gabe's idea that piracy is a services issue. Make it easier for people to pay for the games and they will.

OP
OP
dex3108
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I never realized, as someone in the US, is how many payment methods Steam offers in other countries. More than just having regional pricing and taking local currencies it seems Steam tries to use local payment methods as well. I guess this goes with Gabe's idea that piracy is a services issue. Make it easier for people to pay for the games and they will.
That is main reason why Valve is slow to implement regional pricing. They don't just lower price but leave it in US dollars like Epic does. They go for full package price, currency and payment method. On top of other things like VAT for example.