Digital Foundry Retro: Bubsy

Jul 6, 2018
That first game is so good. I feel like I played it every day for months on end until I finally beat it. I was so disappointed with 2 when it came out. Are the new new ones any good?

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
As an old man, I can corroborate that the hype for Bubsy was real. Not only did it review well, there were pages long features plastered all over Gamepro and EGM (a lot of them sponsored). I distinctly remember a piece that showed a behind the scenes look at how the game was made, and how the sprites were drawn and animated and they boasted it had better animation than any other Platformer at the time. It actually made me want to play the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
As an old man, I can corroborate that the hype for Bubsy was real. Not only did it review well, there were pages long features plastered all over Gamepro and EGM (a lot of them sponsored). I distinctly remember a piece that showed a behind the scenes look at how the game was made, and how the sprites were drawn and animated. It actually made me want to play the game.
The first game in particular was advertised like Sonic.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was aware of the Bubsy 1 SNES hype wave in the day. I kept pestering the rental places about the game (also recall doing that for Star Fox). I thought the game was good. I wanted to own it, but it wasn’t as high priority as other games.

I really liked the visual theme for the first few levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Sneaky stealth edit there. ;)

You're right, though, great track. I avoided using Bubsy music because, well, it's not that good.
I was wondering how many viewers would think that was a Bubsy song and say “hey this song is good!”

What’s the JPOP MIDI song during Bubsy 2 GB?

Also I don’t recognize the gothic sounding tune at BUbsy Jaguar

Oct 27, 2017
My brothers and I were legit excited for Bubsy SNES and we certainly lied to ourselves that it was a good game! I do think the new Choice Provisions one has an actual shot at being fun but mostly because I love what those guys do.

Oct 22, 2018
Check out the frame-rate on Awesome Possum.

https://youtu.be/I8dgHI3lP_g?t=53

It really is like that.
Considering how much of the game is ill-considered and kinda garbage (something something consumerist activism) it's shocking to me that the lip-syncing animations actually work half as well as they do. Like, it clearly must have been the only thing they actually put any attention to detail toward.

Nov 15, 2017
Ulillillia better make an appearance in this episode....

Also, I had one of the unlicensed Bubsy Genesis carts back in the day. But I remember pawning it off. Bubsy actually was a hyped game back in the day. Many different gaming magazines were genuinely excited and it did review fairly well. Bubsy was never really a great game IMO. It has good elements in it and isn't one of the worst platformers from that era. The game fell short in it's final release. The sequel was terrible though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome video - loved the Bubsy historian. Also, John, thank you for introducing me to Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective. This is something I absolutely can't want to go home and play now.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the hype for this, mainly based on how attractive it looked for the time and the all-out marketing campaign. But then it only received a 70% rating in the biggest German video game mag at the time, so that hype was pretty much deflated. I actually rented it for a weekend and probably didn't see more than the first stage due to the difficulty.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad this episode is out. We had so much fun making it. John is an absolute mad man and went to town on this production.
There he is! The man, the myth, the legend. This was a great video to make together.

...just wait until next year. ;)

Audi

Sekai Project
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
There he is! The man, the myth, the legend. This was a great video to make together.

...just wait until next year. ;)
The world is not prepared for what you have in store...

The hardest part of making this video was playing Bubsy 2 all the way through... Multiple times...