From Software is the DiCaprio of the GOTY

Dec 27, 2017
Clearly the committee that votes on these sorts of things are casuals who probably haven’t had to work for anything a day in their life.

Us gamers in the Souls community understand that hard won accomplishment is deeper and far more satisfying than childish accolade.

Rise up
Basically

Maybe From's games don't win because other games in those respective years were better? I'm waiting for the thread where Miyazaki's genius comes right through someone's console and cures their cancer. Bloodborne is actually the best therapy available!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't follow Oscars. The only Leo "fiasco" I remember is losing to Matthew Mcconaughey since everyone thought he'd win it for Wolf of Wall Street. I haven't seen WOWS, but Dallas Buyers Club was good (Jared Leto was my favorite in the movie, though). So idk if the comparison is that From, while excellent, keeps losing out to other worthy opponents. Or From is better and is losing to worse. Because I know people expected Leo to win one a long time ago.

Dark Souls 1 is the only game in that list that would win GOTY for me. And Sekiro wouldn't win it for me this year. Also GAF/Era didn't even vote DaS2 OR 3 as GOTY so...I'm left kind of confused by this whole premise lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this based on the VGAs? Because I’m pretty sure Edge has given Dark Souls a game of the year and even a game of the generation award. If we are using the VGAs as a barometer it’s like complaining that DiCaprio hasn’t won an MTV movie award.

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue that Bloodborne was a GOTY. It won it on many websites and came pretty close even on the old forum.

Sekiro is looking like it has a pretty clear path to GOTY unless Cyberpunk is suprise released this year, or Fallen Order ends up being far better than I think it will.

That said....I don't see a lot of other big releases this year....gonna be a bit slow.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, DiCaprio is actually good and can be enjoyed by a wide audience. From Software is only acceptable to those willing to put up with their ridiculous difficulty standards.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry bruh but TLoU 2. But yeah without that they have a big chance even with their lack of mainstream appeal. Their competition would be what? RE2 (no chance its a remake), DMC V and Doom Eternal, eventually Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds. Yeah but it's still going to be TLoU 2.

Oct 25, 2017
England
From Software games aren't for everyone. I know people who wouldn't touch a From game due to the "Its too hard for me" which is why more cinematic experiences like Uncharted and such win those awards.

More people can see the story, the cutscenes and experience the whole game.

Difficulty in video games is a huge thing that needs some changes. I'm not saying games NEED to be Easy, but there's people out there without good reflexes or even with disabilities who want to experience the whole package.

Nov 27, 2018
It suck's that they havn't received Goty yet but that doesn't make take away any of their achievements. What they done is in short amount of time is shown consistency by releasing hit's after hit's.
They are not likely to win goty award for not having mass appeal but they have been very good with keeping their fan base happy and loyal with quality games.

Nov 2, 2017
Even if TLoU 2 doesn’t come out this year I still don’t see it winning, From games just aren’t that popular when it comes to GOTY, I can see Borderlands 3 doing well this year.

Jan 23, 2019
Bloodborne deserved to win any any other year but the one it landed in lol. Nothing would ever beat TW3.
Other than that, none of them were my GOTY
Right now I'd put RE2r, DMCV, and Sekiro on equal footing. I might give Sekiro the edge because it's a new IP.

Oct 26, 2017
Plenty of high quality games don't win the majority of GotY awards simply because GotY awards tend to lean towards certain types of games over others. For the most part, your AAA cinematic / narrative focused Western titles are the ones that take home most of the awards and From Software games aren't exactly in line with that. The ones that one the vast majority of awards deserved them but it's clear most other types of games struggle to win more than a handful. It's the same reason why big multiplayer games don't win many GotY awards or why we've had only 2 Japanese games win in the majority over 15 years

Lol no, EAD tokyo have higher rated, better selling games with more awards but never gets the most awards in a year
Agreed

Oct 28, 2017
Its because they release games that aren't as widely accessible to mainstream audiences. Looking at the games it loses it to, they all have main stream appeal and a lot easier paths to entry.

Mans still mad Witcher 3 beat Bloodborne

... maybe Bloodborne isn't that great in the first place
Maybe youve lost your damn mind to type these words on your keyboard!!!!!

:P