Votes: 169 63.1%
  • Nera

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Debora

Votes: 64 23.9%

• Total voters
Jun 10, 2018
USA
The human characters look like generic Dreamworks takes on Toriyama's designs.

It doesn't look bad by any means, but to me after how gorgeous DB Super Broly was, this is a bit of a step down.
I'm with you there. In general I think 2D animation is an art that needs to stick around, and I like that in Japan it is still a thing. Don't want this style taking over worldwide.

That said, DQ is great, could be a fun romp.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to see an animated feature in this style from Japan. Also, DQ5 is the best game and best story in the series, so we’re off to a great start.

I fully expect Bianca to be the canonical choice. Just makes waaaay more narrative sense than the other two.

I still voted Debora.

Oct 25, 2017
man I don't like those character designs at all. such a waste, as it looks great.
Toriyama designs are too iconic.

Jan 30, 2018
This looks really good. As much as I adore Toriyama's art in the series, I'm ok with how this looks. My biggest problem so far is that Hero looks too much like a DreamWorks character or something. Wish he looked more like Toriyama's design which is so iconic.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge risk they're taking with the art, but it mostly works (character models especially, monsters eeeh). Could have easily just gone with the style of XI CGI or whatever.

Dec 9, 2017
Wow, I’m down for that. See for all you DQ newbies and veterans, you should’ve made 3 state saves for each pick of the girl you’re gonna marry. Got to experience Bianco, Deborah and Nera storylines. This is one of my fav DQ games for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
WTF.

So, I've been playing my first main Dragon Quest game over the past month and decided on V because it's regarded so highly, plus I wanted to play a classic snes jrpg.

I had no idea this movie existed and I'm losing my mind right now.

Oct 25, 2017
She's actually the most romantic among the three girls, and the craziest one in the bed. She has quite a bit of dialogue where she references her sex life with you, with her leaving scratch marks behind your back and her keeping you busy all night long. She honestly has the biggest sex drive between all three.
I swear I remember people talking about this same thing with Nera when I was reading discussion about DQV last year.

Can't attest to it being in the game myself since I went with best-choice Bianca. :>

Oct 28, 2017
that looks so cool
whats the studio behind it?
Some people speculate Visual Works, and I found the Art Director and Director are tied to a studio who does big CG projects as well called Shirogumi? They did all lot of the other CG works the other two worked on as well. So I assume it is Shirogumi https://shirogumi.com/ probably with other production companies helping as well.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS A MOVIE

WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE THE GAME A UE4 REMAKE AND INCLUDE SOME OF THIS JAW-DROPPING CGI INSTEAD

This looks incredible though seriously. I would say that they have now officially mastered Toriyama's art style in CGI (DQXI's CG is pretty but it looked a tad off sometimes, at least to me). Edit: actually this seems like Toriyama's art style but altered

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting to see.

Would you guys be down for a DQ that looked like this?
This actually looks really nice. Like a more cartoony FF, but not overtly Dragon Ball/Toriyama. They'd never do it, but trying this style could be pretty cool. Maybe I shouldn't be the one to talk because I'm a relative newcomer to the series (started with VIII on 3DS in 2017, got into DQ XI at launch but haven't finished), but the series seems like it could use some rejuvenation.

At the very least, get a new composer, so many extremely talented folks who'd do such an amazing job. I understand why people don't want DQ to change, particularly because of FF's consistent troubles for almost 20 years, but just because one franchise is a little too hectic/prone to changing so often they "throw the baby out with the bathwater" doesn't mean that the other franchise staying rigidly the same forever is a great approach either.

Personally speaking, this artstyle, a slightly more modern battle system, a hybridization of DQ VIII's open world and DQ XI's linear maps, proper difficulty balancing (something between ultra easy and ultra hard/Draconian Quest), a bit more serious writing and a composer who still cares passionately about his/her craft, and Dragon Quest could really take off in the west IMO.

Edit: Oh and this may be a bit controversial IDK, but either ditch the silent protag or make them a proper avatar, with old western rpg dialog choices that actually change things. Still no voice like modern western rpgs, but with more frequent conversations with the cast and dialog that consists of more than "yes" and "no, no, no...yes".

Horii san, it really is not more immersive to inhabit a wooden plank of a hero, give some actual personality to their dialogue and let us express ourselves with them. Plus if you're gonna make them a blank slate, add a female option.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018
I was thinking of returning to my playthrough, I guess this movie is a good incentive to complete the game before release. Some of these Japanese 3D animations have a tough time balancing detail with exaggeration, as evidenced by the freckles on the protagonist's face, but it looks interesting, even if it ends up being more of a compilation of the story's highlights.
Oh my God that Bianca design
Well, I suppose the studio felt comfortable aping HtTYD for this father-son story featuring monster taming and a blonde love interest with a braid.

Last edited:

Brazil

The Dude of Prophecy
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I was thinking of returning to my playthrough, I guess this movie is a good incentive to complete the game before release. Some of these Japanese 3D animations have a tough time balancing detail with exaggeration, as evidenced by the freckles on the protagonist's face, but it looks interesting, even if it ends up being more of a compilation of the story's highlights.

Well, I suppose the studio felt comfortable aping HtTYD for this father-son story featuring monster taming and a blonde love interest with a braid.
The world would be a better place if more studios copied How to Train Your Dragon.

thetrin

Content Acquisition at DANGEN Entertainment
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Osaka Japan
Oh man, V is the perfect story to turn into a movie. An epic story across three generations. Love love love it, and cant wait to see it in theaters.

Jan 10, 2018
This looks so damn good, way better than I was expecting.

Good to see the poll results are heading in the right direction too! Bianca best girl 4 eva

Oct 29, 2017
Depending on the running time I think they could cover the story quite well and show the passage of time elegantly through cutting and montage. In the game, the sense of scale is shown to us through the minute to minute, hour to hour journey. With a film a cut can convey time passing in such a way.

I think there's the potential here to make something beautiful. The director's previous film Sunset on Third Street had this gentle, nostalgic feel that I think could work well with Dragon Quest, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Oct 26, 2017
Woah what, they're doing a DQ movie??
... Not the visuals I expected, but it looks pretty neat! Looking forward to this.

So since I haven't actually played it I don't know how things will affect the game down the line, but...
you think they'll make slight variations of the film for the different marriage choices? Kind of like a Pokemon B/W movie or the Clue movie? If it's supposed to be YouR story then that would probably be pretty important to some people.