• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Trump agreed for US to pay $2 million "medical bill" for College Student N.K. killed. (this likely has not been paid)

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get lying to get a hostage back, but that also entails throughly burning that bridge.

The Administration might have been so dumb that they thought they could continue these peace talks without Korea bringing this up at least once.
I mean it suggests more so that these "peace talks" are the Trump admin secretly conceding to their demands to get a 'big PR win" on the surface and to create the illusion that their master negotiators have gone in and solved actual problems.

They're just making shit worse but it's all for short-term gains.

Oct 27, 2017
Time for every health care advocate to use some (hopefully catchier) variant of:

Trump will pay medical bills from North Korea when they torture, but wants to take away Americans’ health insurance.

Jul 25, 2018
[CBS article] "Kim Jong Un did a great service to himself and to his country by doing this. But those hostages came out, with respect, we didn't pay for them," the president said during an Indiana rally in May 2018, after the return of three hostages back to the U.S.

So now they've created a situation where Kim can say, "We'll talk more about denuclearization and a Trump Tower in NK... after you pay what you said you would."

Apr 19, 2018
Where are you getting that the $2mil was paid?

The Trump administration has not paid this bill, a third source familiar with the matter told CNN Thursday, adding that North Korea did not raise the issue as it sought to begin easing the tensions with the US in 2018 nor when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo negotiated the release of three Americans that same year, the source said.

"We made clear that they were never going to get anything" when the negotiating occurred for the release of the 3 Americans, the source added.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/politics/otto-warmbier-north-korea-comatose-bill/index.html

Oct 31, 2017
Important to note he agreed to pay to bring him home but didn't pay. OP please add this in original post.

"The Trump administration has not paid this bill, a third source familiar with the matter told CNN Thursday, adding that North Korea did not raise the issue as it sought to begin easing the tensions with the US in 2018 nor when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo negotiated the release of three Americans that same year, the source said. "
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/politics/otto-warmbier-north-korea-comatose-bill/index.html

Apr 19, 2018
Important to note he agreed to pay to bring him home but didn't pay. OP please add this in original post.

"The Trump administration has not paid this bill, a third source familiar with the matter told CNN Thursday, adding that North Korea did not raise the issue as it sought to begin easing the tensions with the US in 2018 nor when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo negotiated the release of three Americans that same year, the source said. "
A mod seriously needs to edit the title so folks can chill out.

Oct 25, 2017

So he did the most Trump thing ever.

Oct 25, 2017
The perpetual child emperor's handlers* learned the lesson many an independent contractor has learned: When Trump says he'll pay you, get the money upfront.

*-I'm talking about Kim, not Trump. Just to make it clear.

Oct 29, 2017

Lol

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon man. It clearly should be in the title (and OP) that the bill wasn't paid...
LOL. Trump called Kim a "great leader" and you're concerned about whether he was paid after Trump made the agreement? WTF is wrong with you? Trump gave this psychopath billions in un-earned cache, who gives two fucks about whether you're comfy with the headline?

Apr 19, 2018
LOL. Trump called Kim a "great leader" and you're concerned about whether he was paid after Trump made the agreement? WTF is wrong with you? Trump gave this psychopath billions in un-earned cache, who gives two fucks about whether you're comfy with the headline?
Let me explain it to you. People were freaking about because they thought Trump paid a $2m ransom. He actually likely didn't pay the money. So yes, that info needs to be made clear in this thread. What Trump called Kim isn't relevant to this discussion.

Don't let (understandable) hatred of Trump get in the way of facts and proper reporting in a thread.

A 5 billion dollar wall also shut that discussion down. But the US paying NK after killing a citizen is just a complete "I don't wanna hear it" territory.

You can't speak after that lol, you're on mute
And they still will talk about it when we get another Democrat president. Why? Because no one ever challenges them on their spending ever. The country just collectively let's them control the narrative about spending as it's been the way of things since the introduction of the whole Santa Claus approach

Oct 27, 2017
Let me explain it to you. People were freaking about because they thought Trump paid a $2m ransom. He actually likely didn't pay the money. So yes, that info needs to be made clear in this thread.

Don't let (understandable) hatred of Trump get in the way of facts and proper reporting in a thread.
"Trump lied to us AND Kim. Let's be exact with that fact"

Go ahead and keep policing that tone, it's working out great!

Jul 25, 2018
Imagine Trump locked up in the GoT Eyrie prison cell.

"Mord! How would you like to be rich? My family is rich, we have gold, lots of gold. I'm prepared to give you lots of gold. Have you ever heard the phrase, "Rich as a Trump?" Of course you have, you're a smart man. I'm a Trump. You have also heard the phrase, "A Trump never pays his debts". I will owe you gold."

Oct 25, 2017
He played himself. North Korea never expected to get paid. They never brought the money up again. It was about seeing if the US president was a wimp they could manipulate into ANYTHING, and it worked.

It's also a tool they have to use at their disposal to get the upperhand in negotiations. "We stop until you meet your own agreements"

They can say "We started our missile tests because the US has not fulfilled their end of the bargain" This is HORRIBLE.