Outer Wilds |OT| Life, the universe, and everything else all in 20 minutes!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Use the ship log as sort of a guiding light. It will allow you to mark locations on the HUD and give you some direction to start opening up the larger strands.

Also, be sure to land on the moon right by the starting planet, I can't think of the name of it right now.
The ship log/rumor map does a good job guiding you around once it starts to fill. The best early tips I would give are start at the moon, and after that there’s always the signal tracking to find the other characters hanging out on different planets.

Each one you reach have a dialogue option asking what you should check out in the area and typically give a good outline of the individual planets gimmick.

Once you get rolling you pretty much always can use the rumor map to see what new things you should try to investigate.
To the moon, then! Thanks!

Yaboosh

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to buy this as my first purchase from the epic store but it keeps erroring out no matter what card I try to add.

Ok epic, I'll stay off your platform...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that I don't know about that stuff, it's that, for instance with the
Observatory
I have to cross a bunch of icy gaps, vertically, while hitting thrusters and if I make a mistake I am back in the
black hole
which just plain sucks. To make matters worse, the path just randomly has a few of those crystals missing, because why not, and more often then not I'm left guessing as to what the developers want me to do? Like, do you want me to try and make that stupid jump that I'll miss 2 out of 3 times? I know I'm on the right track at this point, but the frustration is getting to me after the last few attempts I just had. I can beat Sekiro, but I can't jump to save my life in this game.
Fair enough. I will say getting that area taken care of was such a relief once I got everything I could from it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
You’re good haha

I knew about raising it and the teleporter but I didn’t think of standing on the teleporter upside down! I did try all those steps but not teleporting upside down so I ended up in the icy area confused lol will that help me get to the eye signal locator as well?
Ah, yeah, haha I did that too. The eye signal locator is making me scratch my head. I got it, but I can't remember 100% where. Have you boarded the station orbiting Giant's Deep? When I get back to my xbox, I'll load up the game, check my logs, and see if I can't puzzle it out if you've fully explored the station.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
It's not even that I don't know about that stuff, it's that, for instance with the
Observatory
I have to cross a bunch of icy gaps, vertically, while hitting thrusters and if I make a mistake I am back in the
black hole
which just plain sucks. To make matters worse, the path just randomly has a few of those crystals missing, because why not, and more often then not I'm left guessing as to what the developers want me to do? Like, do you want me to try and make that stupid jump that I'll miss 2 out of 3 times? I know I'm on the right track at this point, but the frustration is getting to me after the last few attempts I just had. I can beat Sekiro, but I can't jump to save my life in this game.
There shouldn't be any gaps in the crystals if you're early enough in the loop. The only issue then is a ghost energy field that crosses one part of the crystal path, and then there's a convenient outcrop on the opposite wall that you can use to jump past the ghost energy.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Trying to see if anyone else ran into the same thing I did on Giant's Deep. Anyone?

As I approached the 20-minute mark, the walls literally started closing in around me??

It was on the island where they were constructing the probe launcher. I was exploring the various text runes, and the geometry of the level kept getting more and more cramped until I clipped through the wall and was forced outside. And then something fell on my head and crushed me, before the sun exploded.

If this is a bug, then as a software developer, I'd love to pick the studio's brain to try to figure out how this might be able to happen!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
There shouldn't be any gaps in the crystals if you're early enough in the loop. The only issue then is a ghost energy field that crosses one part of the crystal path, and then there's a convenient outcrop on the opposite wall that you can use to jump past the ghost energy.
Spoo Ymgve makes a good point. And if time is an issue, do you know about the faster route inside?
If you land right next to the Tower of Quantum knowledge (it's a circular building you can find fairly easily from orbit), it has a staircase that goes right down to the city, right next to where you need to start your journey with that first jetpack jump. This will save you quite a bit of time.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to see if anyone else ran into the same thing I did on Giant's Deep. Anyone?

As I approached the 20-minute mark, the walls literally started closing in around me??

It was on the island where they were constructing the probe launcher. I was exploring the various text runes, and the geometry of the level kept getting more and more cramped until I clipped through the wall and was forced outside. And then something fell on my head and crushed me, before the sun exploded.

If this is a bug, then as a software developer, I'd love to pick the studio's brain to try to figure out how this might be able to happen!

Are you certain they were closing in? The islands on that planet have an interesting property that may confuse people who experience it the first time without knowing what's going on

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
First heard about this game after watching Giant Bomb’s quick look last night, and it was an instant purchase. (I barely buy 2-3 games a year now)

Played it until about 7am this morning haha.

This game can get pretty damn scary.
I was scared shitless the first time I fell off the planet towards the black hole.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
First heard about this game after watching Giant Bomb’s quick look last night, and it was an instant purchase. (I barely buy 2-3 games a year now)

Played it until about 7am this morning haha.

I was scared shitless the first time I fell off the planet towards the black hole.
That's exactly what scared me too!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Funny enough, the thing that caused me the biggest scare is something I'm not sure I remember hearing anyone mention. But, it was based on some randomness, and you could miss it.

Basically tying for 1st is something that happened really late in the game, but again, you'd have to have done exactly what I did.

And of course we all got scared by the
angler fish

Tawpgun

Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain they were closing in? The islands on that planet have an interesting property that may confuse people who experience it the first time without knowing what's going on
Oh god I remember the first time it happened to me. I landed on a random island. Was exploring. Then a sudden WOOOSH sound.

I lose my footing, I can't tell if the tides or dropping or coming in. Then I realize we are going UP. Shot up into the atmosphere. I see my ship on the other side of the island is also getting tossed up. I quickly try and jet over there and get in the ship just as its falling down again. Had to repair some damage but better than getting SPLATTED by gravity

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Man this game creeps me out more than anything I've played. Something about flying through space deeply unsettles me.

It's incredible!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Man .really love the end of the loop theme, as much as i learned to dread it. It's just so chill. The other version is even better.

And I just found out Mobius Digital was founded by Masi Oka, AKA Hiro from the TV show Heroes. Now that's wild.

Last edited:

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I stumbled on one of the other endings/deaths you can get. I broke...everything. Details and a laugh:
I was screwing around in the high energy lab with their little experiment. I shot out my probe and yanked out one of the energy cores (forgot which one). The "second" probe flew out of the white hole before the first could enter the black hole.

It broke all of space and time.

When that happened, the credits started to play, but instead of the normal song, it was some guy playing the theme on a kazoo. :D