RDJ wants Ironheart in the MCU.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man actor Robert Downey Jr. has publicly expressed his support for bringing Ironheart to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Ironheart writer Eve Ewing revealed Downey Jr. said he wanted the teenage hero in the MCU at the Gene Siskel Film Center Gala in Chicago. Ewing was introducing the actor at the event.
Cyborgfrog didn't die for this

thetrin

Content Acquisition at DANGEN Entertainment
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Osaka Japan
Mostly the uninteresting stories. She feels like a "street level"/B roll character. But wasn't Iron Man kind of a second fiddle too? She probably has more potential than he did, all in all.
Yeah, for years, Iron Man was boring and his stories sucked. Even in the 2000's when his stories were better, Marvel made him into the most hated character in the world with Civil War.

jph139

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Ironheart's biggest problem was that Bendis didn't really know how to write her and her plots weren't great - in Ewing's book and Zub's Champions she's been great. It's the same exact issue Miles had.

I like the idea of Riri and Peter as kind of "rival heirs" to the Stark legacy. Could be a fun dynamic.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Ironheart's biggest problem was that Bendis didn't really know how to write her and her plots weren't great - in Ewing's book and Zub's Champions she's been great. It's the same exact issue Miles had.

I like the idea of Riri and Peter as kind of "rival heirs" to the Stark legacy. Could be a fun dynamic.
Bendis creates them, others make them interesting

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like he was probably just being supportive of the writer who’s currently doing the Ironheart ongoing, but I’d be more than down for this.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
This tweet came up in my feed because Eve Ewing and I have multiple mutuals - is her Ironheart worth purchasing? Her twitter feed is always worth a read.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I loved her concurrent run to Doom’s during Tony’s coma. And they had to downgrade her with an ugly suit when Tony inevitably returned. Yeah, fix this, MCU.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I still think they could "re-tool" Shuri in the MCU to become Iron Heart. She's a genius, has a similar goofy personality as Tony Stark, and since i don't see them swapping Boseman out of the Black Panther role anytime soon, she's not likely to take over that part.

Plus, Letitia Wright is a gem and deserves more screentime. ^^

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I still think they could "re-tool" Shuri in the MCU to become Iron Heart. She's a genius, has a similar goofy personality as Tony Stark, and since i don't see them swapping Boseman out of the Black Panther role anytime soon, she's not likely to take over that part.

Marvel would be rightfully be lit up if they do that. Shuri has been established and you don't need to erase one black woman for another.

QuantumZebra

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure how they will have Monica take over as the new Cpt. Marvel with the Space Stone being obliterated. Also not sure how she will equal Carol in power level without it. I think it'd be wrong to shelve Shuri. Could use Monica.

Her love of flight and such might work in a sequeway into becoming Ironheart. Maybe even make her nickname Riri as an homage? Trying to figure out how they'd do this without shoehorning her in as "Tony's apprentice/favorite science student he never spoke of".

VeePs

Oct 25, 2017
I hear some say riri is boring or doesn't do much, is this true?
She’s been a okay character in most books I’ve read. But in the end it doesn’t matter.

I hate Tony Stark in the comics but enjoyed his MCU counterpart. And I haven’t watched Captain Marvel yet but it seems like a good movie, and Carol is honestly one of the worst comic book heroes.

MCU can definitely improve the character if needed.

Duane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never though Bendis' Riri was boring. I thought the Riri/Doom era was pretty good, and I think she's always been an interesting character. She's not just some perfect (even though I hate the term) "Mary Sue" or whatever. She has drive and genus like a lot of Marvel characters - Reed, Cho, Moon Girl, Beast, Tony, etc, sure.

But Riri also has some parts of her personality that are really interesting, like the fact that she is totally socially inept. And she's that way for two reasons... one is that she's just so obsessive with all her techie stuff she just doesn't care about social interaction, and yeah, there are a lot of people like that IRL (and in Marvel including Reed Richards and Tony Stark sometimes to some extent).

BUT you're also never quite sure if she's also that way because she's seen some shit. She had a very traumatic childhood... three of the four most important people in her life died to gun violence (father, step father, and best friend). Does she have a hard time socially because of her genius? Or because of the violent trauma she's endured? Or maybe she's drawn to spending all her time locked in the garage building stuff because of the trauma?

She's always been a Marvel character with more nuance and who is more interesting than a LOT of new characters who get introduced. And that was all baked in with Bendis. I've heard she's even better under Eve Ewing (I've only read her first issue on Marvel Unlimited so far), and I'm sure it's true, I'm looking forward to it. But Riri has always been great. The idea that her stories have been boring is one of those things that just gets repeated and accepted.

jph139

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
What is Riri Williams like? Like personality wise?I've never read anything with her in it.
Very straightforward, kind of socially inept, usually a loner. The sort of person that sort of talks past you and assumes you get what she's talking about, or forgets to eat because she's working on something. Cynical but not dour.

I get the MCU Shuri comparisons - both smart, both engineers, both have an arrogant streak - but I think Riri is a lot more... capable? She's more self-sufficient, but also more oblivious. It's kind of hard to articulate.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Basically this. I mean, look at Spider-Verse. That was probably the best interpretation of Miles Morales thus far, & that was out of Bendis' hands. If anyone can do Riri right, it's Marvel Studios. Hell, your idea of Peter & Riri being rivals to Tony's legacy could work perfectly.

DrForester

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel would be rightfully be lit up if they do that. Shuri has been established and you don't need to erase one black woman for another.
What type of history does Shuri have in the comics, because I would love to see more of her MCU version. I was really hoping after Infinity War that we'd see her as the new Black Panther during endgame, then it turns out she got snapped too....

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like the idea of Riri and Peter as kind of "rival heirs" to the Stark legacy. Could be a fun dynamic
Wow, that would be an excellent arc to play out.

Bendis creates them, others make them interesting
Extremely accurate

What type of history does Shuri have in the comics, because I would love to see more of her MCU version. I was really hoping after Infinity War that we'd see her as the new Black Panther during endgame, then it turns out she got snapped too....
I trust that Feige has a plan to make Shuri BP after T'Challa in BP3 and beyond. She wears the mantle in the comics.

Lotus

Oct 25, 2017

Shuri has no reason to become Iron Heart.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I fixed your post, hope you don't mind.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
She is much more of a warrior than T'Challa, she later gets her own set of powers from Wakandian spirits

Pandora012

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Or just add Riri to the MCU while also increasing Shuri's role in the universe?

LMAO, the level of hyperbole on this forum surrounding Carol Danvers is getting out of hand. “One of the worst comic book heroes.” jenniferlawrence.gif
Maybe not the worst, but she is pretty shitty.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I'd like to see Ironheart in the MCU but I doubt she's getting in anytime soon, unless it's as a side character in another person's movie like Spidey 3.

Or just add Riri to the MCU while also increasing Shuri's role in the universe?

Maybe not the worst, but she is pretty shitty.
From what I've gleamed she's a perfectly fine heroine in her own comics but crossovers like Civil War 2 (groans) really tarnish her reputation. I haven't actually read any Cap marvel so I don't know

Yagyujubei

Oct 25, 2017
in hell
I wonder why people think a comic character’s personality could not change for the movies when others like iron man, captain America and Thor have changed for the movies. Whether Riri Williams is not a good character or not in the comic doesn’t mean much when it can be changed for the movies. Even the guardians of the galaxy characters were changed for the movies.

Manmademan

Aug 6, 2018
What about Ironheart needs fixing?
The book is middle of the road and is geared towards younger readers (i.e. not me) but i would say she has the same issue a lot of the successors to legacy characters do.

No real rogues gallery of her own, instead borrowing B and C list villains from other heroes. Unfortunately for her, unlike the Parker/Miles situation Iron Man has the flat out weakest villains of any of the core marvel heroes.

Currently the big threat in her book is Midnight's Fire, a D list night thrasher/new warriors villain that no one's cared about since the early 90s.