Hobonichi (Shigesato Itoi) to release book “Iwata-san” about Satoru Iwata, Miyamoto collaborating [UPDATE: Overseas release being considered]

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link I can find? Or is this something I can easily search around on Amazon?

delete12345

Nov 17, 2017
Darn, I can't buy it. I don't have an account for Amazon JP.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if somewhere there’s at least a pdf collecting all the Iwata Asks. IIIRC I found one online years ago but it was kinda of a mess to read even on a tablet.
I hear there’s also some I.A. that weren’t translated officially?

I’d easily fork $100 for a premium edition of all the Iwata Asks in a coffee-table book form

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I felt compelled to convert that cute Iwata animation to gif form, so enjoy

code-named "iwatasan" :(

Made by ©100%ORANGE , a duo of illustrators, apparently: Official Site

I really hope the book gets an official translation!

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the Japanese version. Most likely i'll get an the english copy too if that comes out, but I really want a japanese copy to read too.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if somewhere there’s at least a pdf collecting all the Iwata Asks. IIIRC I found one online years ago but it was kinda of a mess to read even on a tablet.
I hear there’s also some I.A. that weren’t translated officially?

I’d easily fork $100 for a premium edition of all the Iwata Asks in a coffee-table book form
I've been toying with layout ideas for a collected edition for a while now, but I've never had the free time to put into it. Between kids and design work for comic reprints, I've got fairly limited extra time and a project like a collected IA would be a big commitment. Seeing this made me think that I should really pull my finger out and get on with it though...

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, orders begin July 7th on the Hobonichi Store site and include a keychain with the Iwata illustration.

It will be sold in TOBICHI book stores (Tokyo/Kyoto) from July 23rd.

Regular book store distribution begins on July 30th.

Amazon is taking pre-orders and it is currently the best-selling business biography.
I was about to ask if you had a pre-order link since I need that keychain but then I saw the date. :)
I've been toying with layout ideas for a collected edition for a while now, but I've never had the free time to put into it. Between kids and design work for comic reprints, I've got fairly limited extra time and a project like a collected IA would be a big commitment. Seeing this made me think that I should really pull my finger out and get on with it though...
Anything we can do to help it happen? Donations?

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and the official website for the book does seem to confirm that parts are derived from Iwata Asks:
machine translation said:
Former president of Nintendo,
I made a book summarizing the words of Iwata Akira.
I decided to put it out, and it
took me a long time. We received approval from

Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Mr.
Iwata's family, and we
have been moving forward little by little, but
we can finally inform you. The words of Mr. Iwata were excerpted and reorganized from among

the many interviews published in the daily Itoi newspaper,
and from the "President's Geek" of the Nintendo official page
Not sure what President's Geek is, maybe President's Speak? I'm not aware of any section of the NCL website that was called that, so I have to assume that's Iwata Asks stuff.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered it from Amazon Japan. The process is actually quite simple using google translate on the site. I made my account, put the item in my cart and when I went to shipping it gave me an option for an international address. After entering the address it asked to me enter a card and it actually recognized I was using an American card and asked if I wanted to pay in USD. All pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's a piece of cake, especially for items that ship to the US with their global priority shipping. Can't get the keychain from Amazon JP, though.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Anything we can do to help it happen? Donations?
Nothing like that, I think. I'm going to have another look at the work involved and see if I can plan something out. My original idea was to compile everything and make it available as a PDF with an invitation for people to donate to an appropriate cancer charity, but I wasn't sure of whether I'd need to reach out to Nintendo. Between that and lack of time it got stuck on the back-burner, but I think I'll see if I can get it moving again - I got a huge amount of entertainment out of the Iwata Asks series, and it would be nice to help make them available in an easier to read format...

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like that, I think. I'm going to have another look at the work involved and see if I can plan something out. My original idea was to compile everything and make it available as a PDF with an invitation for people to donate to an appropriate cancer charity, but I wasn't sure of whether I'd need to reach out to Nintendo. Between that and lack of time it got stuck on the back-burner, but I think I'll see if I can get it moving again - I got a huge amount of entertainment out of the Iwata Asks series, and it would be nice to help make them available in an easier to read format...
That would be amazing. Keep us posted on if there's anything we can do!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
There are some Iwata Asks interviews that didn't left Japan, yeah. (Mostly for Japan-exclusive content, but there's a notable one like Rhythm Heaven Megamix) But there should be a fan-translation for most of them.
Yeah, I absolutely need that RHM one!
I was able to get epub files for all the other ones, but I really REALLY want a printed book out of them