Can we get an Era guild set up for WoW Classic?

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, mods, ladies, and gentleman, before you say...

“There’s already a WoW community!”

“This doesn’t deserve its own thread!”

Let me tell you a story. Era members have been trying to play WoW together for years, even back when we used the site with the orange logo instead. Despite our best efforts, we’ve remained scattered. There is no Era server like there is for FFXIV. Yet other places, like the Penny Arcade forums, seem to have no issue choosing a central server.

So what’s the deal?

Let’s fix this. Can we use this thread to set up a guild for Alliance and Horde? This is our chance, right before Classic comes out. I want to play with you guys, I really do.

My suggestions for a server would be:

-Eastern US time zone. In my experience, it’s easier for western people to log on earlier than it is for eastern people to log on later. Bad memories of running raids until 2 AM on weeknights...

-One that has a cool name, obviously.

-Same server for Alliance and Horde. Let the PvP commence.

What do you all think? Apologies if such a thing has already been set up.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down. I'm definitely going to check out WoW Classic. It's a good start because everyone is going to be making new characters for Classic.

Milo Rambaldi

Nov 11, 2017
Florida
While I have zero interest in Classic there's been many, many attempts at ERA (and older place) servers but they just never pan out because of one reason or another. It's not from a lack of trying.

Good luck though. I've recruited a good handful of ERA people into my guild on Live and it has worked out pretty well so maybe you will get lucky this go around!

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
While I have zero interest in Classic there's been many, many attempts at ERA (and older place) servers but they just never pan out because of one reason or another. It's not from a lack of trying.

Good luck though. I've recruited a good handful of ERA people into my guild on Live and it has worked out pretty well so maybe you will get lucky this go around!
This is precisely why I made this thread, haha. Classic’s launch is different from an expansion - everyone will be starting fresh. Best time to try this again!

Oct 25, 2017
I think Classic might be a different story. I never took an interest in joining a forum guild myself when I was active in the game, here or at the previous board, and to be there are some pretty clear structural reasons why they would have trouble. People who want to play for progression or content at the pace or skill level that interests them, rather than putting the social experience first, will always let that take the lead when it comes to hopping servers or guilds (and they still get the social experience by chatting with others here, even if they're all on other servers). And the people who are most invested in WoW tend to be the ones who had an existing relationship with their own servers and guilds, one that predates their relationship with non-game-specific forums like this one. It's hard to justify the cost and nuisance of server/faction transfers when you don't even know if you'll get along with the other players in an active in-game context.

Classic, however, is an opportunity for a fresh start, especially for players whose old WoW networks are long dead and gone. And just given the very nature of Classic, you'll have a good number of players who are in it for the social element and the slow burn, not just playing up to the current tier as intensely as their schedule will let them.

(I won't be part of it, unfortunately. I'm passing on Classic in the near term and already have prior invitations waiting for me in case I should change my mind. But good luck to those who take a crack at putting this together.)

Milo Rambaldi

Nov 11, 2017
Florida
I think Classic might be a different story. I never took an interest in joining a forum guild myself when I was active in the game, here or at the previous board, and to be there are some pretty clear structural reasons why they would have trouble. People who want to play for progression or content at the pace or skill level that interests them, rather than putting the social experience first, will always let that take the lead when it comes to hopping servers or guilds (and they still get the social experience by chatting with others here, even if they're all on other servers). And the people who are most invested in WoW tend to be the ones who had an existing relationship with their own servers and guilds, one that predates their relationship with non-game-specific forums like this one. It's hard to justify the cost and nuisance of server/faction transfers when you don't even know if you'll get along with the other players in an active in-game context.

Classic, however, is an opportunity for a fresh start, especially for players whose old WoW networks are long dead and gone. And just given the very nature of Classic, you'll have a good number of players who are in it for the social element and the slow burn, not just playing up to the current tier as intensely as their schedule will let them.
I mean, more power to you. My reply wasn't meant to be condescending or telling you that you -can't- do it. Just providing some context and maybe a bit of tempering to expectations. If the ERA Classic community can make it happen then good for all of you!

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, more power to you. My reply wasn't meant to be condescending or telling you that you -can't- do it. Just providing some context and maybe a bit of tempering to expectations. If the ERA Classic community can make it happen then good for all of you!
No worries, that's all understood. I'm not one of the people trying to make this happen anyway; just speculating on the social dynamics. I think there is good cause for optimism.

Lasdrub

Oct 25, 2017
I joined an IGN guild when Vanilla first launched. It was the group from the WoW forums. It was pretty fun to do that. If I get Classic, I'll join in.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that people want/need different things.

Everyone is going to have different preferences when it comes to region, timezone, faction, and server type. Once everyone splinters off between all of the options, it's going to be difficult to get a large group of dedicated players.

That said, if anyone else wants a mix of PvP and PvE with an emphasis on raiding on a US PvE server as Horde, I'm down. I'm going warrior.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I would be down but I’m so torn on what I want. If this was Classic + BC I’d have the best of both worlds by rolling Alliance and being a Shaman. :/

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, looks like there’s some interest. I’ll set up some straw polls in a bit.

My personal preference is Alliance, PvE. But I assume PvP will be more popular.

I’d also not want to be the guild leader. I have experience with that kind of thing but I’d rather someone else do it, preferably someone who raided in vanilla.

Bya

Oct 25, 2017
Make it horde and PVE and I'd be interested. Playing Vanilla on a pvp server can be an absolute nightmare.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think the best option for this is a Poll for server type and faction.

PVP - Alliance
PVP - Horde
PVE - Alliance
PVE - Horde

I'm also from EU :(

EDIT: Duh. There is literally poll links 3 posts up.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a helpful video on how to mange a guild.

I'd be all in on this if I was 19 again and had time for anything. Where did all the time go?