Plastic Scale Modelling |OT| Gunpla and Everything Else

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
how solid are these? do the parts comes off easily? I really want the Astray one but they're so expensive. I could get like 3 MG for 1 hirm kit.
The frames are solid as a rock. As for the parts, I had a few loose ones on my Hi Rez Wing Zero Custom, but nothing that cant be fixed.
Posing was more of a problem because of how huge the wings were and how they get in the way when posing other parts. It is more of a problem of the design rather than the quality of the kit. The astray should not have these problems since it does not have to deal with wings with like 50 points of articulation.

The hands also kind of had trouble holding the twin buster rifle since it is pretty heavy which causes the fingers to pop out, but that will most likely be fixed when I eventually paint it.

Is HiRM kit considered more detailed than MG? like a scaled down PG the same way RG is like a scaled down MG kind of thing?
I would say they are about the same or slightly above MG details, dosent really reach PG levels imo. The advantage of the Hi res line is having much more articulation and moving gimmicks since it uses screws and metal parts on the frame.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
My issue with HiRM kits is that it feels like a half-measure to appeal both to people who want to build a gunpla and also people who prefer out of the box stuff detailed stuff like Fix Figurations. But it ends up feeling neither here nor there. End result is high quality and nice looking, but if I wanted to spend money on a display model I don't have to build, I generally don't want to put in effort to also cut and build parts for the outer armor. And if I wanted to spend time building a kit, it's simply not satisfying for me to be just sticking armor pieces onto a complete premade skeleton.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
The thing with the HiRM is that the style is slightly more exaggerated, so some people might prefer them to the generally more anime-accurate depiction of models in the MG line.
The God Gundam looks comparatively roided.

Time for the next build with the HGUC PMX-001 Pallas Athene. The official romanization is unfortunate trash, Palace doesn't make sense in any way whatsoever.
As I said earlier in this thread, I don't particularly like that the HG includes very prominent weaponry in the form of the eight large missiles that never appear in the animated series.
I ended up using the beam saber effect parts on the beam gun. They went in with almost no effort, I just had to clip the peg a little bit because it was slightly too long but the width was compatible without modifications.

On a semi-related note, I don't hate Reccoa as much as most of the Gundam fandom, I like that she is a woman with the will to do as she pleases. On the negative side, her rationality is severely lacking and in the end she falls for Paptimus pimping newtype powers, which is unfortunate and goes to undo a good chunk of her previous characterization

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Alright guys, what's the best kit out there for the RX-78-2?

I have pretty much no exposure to the Gundam franchise, but I think I want to add the OG Mobile Suit to my mecha lineup.

The Sum of Zero

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AL, USA
Alright guys, what's the best kit out there for the RX-78-2?

I have pretty much no exposure to the Gundam franchise, but I think I want to add the OG Mobile Suit to my mecha lineup.
If you want a 1/100 scale, there's three good MG options: The 2.0 if you want an anime accurate look, the 3.0 if you want a more stylized look, and the ORIGIN version if, well, you just like that one more.

1/144, I would say the HGUC Revive kit.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
The Master Grade 3.0
If you want a 1/100 scale, there's three good MG options: The 2.0 if you want an anime accurate look, the 3.0 if you want a more stylized look, and the ORIGIN version if, well, you just like that one more.

1/144, I would say the HGUC Revive kit.
I do like the color variation on the MG 3.0
That's gotta be what, 400 pieces? I'm gonna be building this thing for months.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
I do like the color variation on the MG 3.0
That's gotta be what, 400 pieces? I'm gonna be building this thing for months.
The thing about gunpla is that
  1. You don't need to glue parts.
  2. You don't need to test fit anything or remove flash because the quality of the molding is great, specially on something like the 3.0 which represents the latest technology Bandai uses.
  3. Even if you want to paint it using the original color scheme, the plastic being in the intended color probably helps, if anything, to organize which pieces to paint the same color.
So, the build could be faster than you expect, depending on what extra work you intend to do.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about gunpla is that
  1. You don't need to glue parts.
  2. You don't need to test fit anything or remove flash because the quality of the molding is great, specially on something like the 3.0 which represents the latest technology Bandai uses.
  3. Even if you want to paint it using the original color scheme, the plastic being in the intended color probably helps, if anything, to organize which pieces to paint the same color.
So, the build could be faster than you expect, depending on what extra work you intend to do.
Those are all great things, but they're also true for all the other model kits I've done. I don't really have the skills or patience to do kits that require glue or rely heavily on paint to look good.

I probably will do some light painting for shading and panel lines though. The build will just be much more complex than the various Bandai and Kotobukiya kits I've put together in the past.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
By any chance, does anyone know which kit is this piece from? It fell off earlier while I was changing some poses, but I'm not sure who it belongs to. The kits I have are the RG Red Astray, Gold Astray, Exia and Sazabi, and the HG Moon, Psycho Zaku, Carta's Graze, RX-78-2.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not from the Moon Gundam at least. Maybe from the foot of the Red Astray but I kinda doubt it. It's not the Exia either.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
By any chance, does anyone know which kit is this piece from? It fell off earlier while I was changing some poses, but I'm not sure who it belongs to. The kits I have are the RG Red Astray, Gold Astray, Exia and Sazabi, and the HG Moon, Psycho Zaku, Carta's Graze, RX-78-2.
It looks like L 10 from the RG Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina?
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10444022/40/1
I'd say they are from the lance as shown here.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10444022/30/3
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10444022/30/10

Last edited: