How old are you and what was the first Final Fantasy game that you played?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida.
Final Fantasy XII when I was 10 or 11 years old, I remember wanting to buy FFX but my parents didn't want me playing a T-rated game at 7 or 8.
My neighbor had Advent Children on DVD and that shit was so cool at that age.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 28. First Final Fantasy game ever was the first one for the NES that my parents got a yard sale when I was 3-4 years old. I couldn't read at first when I started playing it but I was able to reliably make it to Garland. He knocked me down every time though.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Late 30s, FF1 on NES. Used to have sleepovers at a friend's in elementary school and would pull all nighters trying to beat the game in one night. Class change was so epic.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Final Fantasy NES. Very fond memories of just sitting there and buying items to maximum capacity and non-stop EXP grinding with the giants.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm 33 now and my first FF game was VI (we called it "3" where I come from) at age 8. It blew my mind and I still think it must be among the greatest games ever made.

Since then I've tried several other FF games but only finished XV and VII.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
40. Rented the first or second one when I was pretty young and gave up on it after an hour or so. Played 6 when it came out when I was in junior high or high school and was hooked and have gone back and played all the older ones and 7. Didn't play any after 7 until 15 came out and I really liked that one. It's a great series.

GUSH

Nov 17, 2017

First Final Fantasy I played was FFVII when I was 6 or 7. Don't think I beat it until a couple years later though.

Sestenes

Mar 2, 2018
Iowa
I am 40 and my first FF was Final Fantasy 1, followed promptly by Final Fantasy Legend.

I remember when I first played FF1 I didn't know how to equip weapons first the first half of the game. Was still fun AF.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
40 years old, alwas had an interests in rpg and have owned several games that I boght for chep under ps2 era. I remember trying FFVII with a friend but I actually never really played a FF until FFXV.

I should mention that I really fell I love with Lost Odyssey.

I boght FF 13 one sale to play on my xbox one x .... hmm maybe I should try that one todat.

Eon

Nov 21, 2017
I’m 40, and my first FF was FF on the NES, I played it in 1988, I believe. I first read about it in Nintendo Power and it looked incredible. I wasn’t aware of how difficult the game would be, though.

It wasn’t until the GBA release of I and II did I beat it. Great game, overall. Shitty magic system on release.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
38, Final Fantasy 1 on NES.

I think I was around 8 years old when I first started playing, but I understood nothing. Spent hours walking around getting into fights, unsure of where to go.

I don't think I actually beat that game until like, 5 years later.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
37, played the original on NES and didn't like it, was a bit hard for me at 8 years old. Didn't get into the series for real until the "second" game (IV) on SNES and it became an all time favorite.

Blacki138

Oct 28, 2017
34. My first Final Fantasy was VII on PS1 Day1.

I never played a FF game on SNES despite being a huge fan of Terranigma and Secret of Mana back then.

Bigwombat

Nov 30, 2018
Hmmm. I got ff2 when it came out so I must have been 9. I think I played ff1 a couple years later for the NES... maybe when I was 12 but I never finished it.

ajhopwood

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, Washington, USA
I’m 35 and I remember my best friend’s older brother playing the original FF game on NES with the Nintendo Power strategy guide. I was probably only 5 or 6 at the time, but I distinctly remember the key moments in the game like getting the rat’s tail and masamune, crossing the bridge and getting to hear the main theme, playing the puzzle game on the boat (?) and, of course, fighting Chaos.

Since then, I’ve played all the mainline FF games except FFII and FFXV. Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time!

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
28 and the first one I played was FFVI. Didn't get anywhere in it though but fell in love with the series when I got a bit older and I played FFVII.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
30, got FF7 when i was in 4th grade, i remember because i made the mistake of starting it on a school night and i did NOT want to stop and i spent the entire next day telling everyone about it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
USA
45. First one I played was FF6 on the SNES back in college. Bought it from the now-defunct electronics store chain The Good Guys for $70, I think. I made it to the game's second half, but had to go back to school, so I didn't finish it at the time.

Fast forward a bit and FF7 was next. Beat it, and that started me down the road where I went back to FF4, finished and loved that, and Chrono Trigger was next. A few years later, I'd marathon the entire series from 1-10, although I skipped 2 after not feeling it after playing a couple hours in.

I still look back very fondly on FF5. The music and job system are really special.

SeanBoocock

Software Engineer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
33 and first I played was the PC port of FF8 at release. Went back and played the PC port of 7 shortly thereafter. In the intervening years I’ve played through FF1 and started FF9/FFX multiple times but not completed them. I dream about having a vacation where I felt like I could play one of these again (they were always summer or winter break games).

Sadist

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
33 in three days.

The first one was Final Fantasy VI; I was ten. I played only a few hours. Then I got a PSone when I was older and played IX, VIII and VII. In that order.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
9 when I played FF7 on a demo disc. Never played a turn based game before and couldn't figure out where the block button was. I remember thinking it was so weird and foreign.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
37 and it was Final Fantasy VII when it launched in the UK and it was my first JRPG. I actually went to the store with the intention of getting M.D.K but when I got there and saw FFVII with its case that practically revealed nothing, I saw the game was 3 discs....3 DISCS! I thought “well that’s 3 times the content and worth over something like MDK, this thing must be helluva big!”. So I went with that plus the store was offering a free controller with purchase so even more of a deal!

I will say the ominous TV commercial for the game that I caught the night before probably helped...lol but yeah that started my love for Final Fantasy, SquareSoft and RPG games.

Oct 25, 2017
6 or 7 when I played the original... I think I made decent progress, but I really consider FFIV (II) to be my true introduction to the series... I beat it when I was 8 or 9. Then I went to TRU that same day and purchased my first game ever with my own money, FFVI, which was brand new at the time. I hated it for quite awhile because it was just so different from FFIV. Good times.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I think I was 9 or 10 when I played Final Fantasy “2”
totally FF4
for the first time. Played through with my best friend. Was a good time.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I am 41 and played FF on NES back when it released.

Final Fantasy NES. Very fond memories of just sitting there and buying items to maximum capacity and non-stop EXP grinding with the giants.
I discovered by myself the spot with ice wolves before the marsh cave. If my black mage managed to cast FIR2 before them, that was an awesome feel :D

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I'm 29. My first Final Fantasy was VII at age 9, the year I got my PS1 for Reyes Magos. Someone had lent the first disc to my cousin and he, in turn, lent it to me because he didn't care for JRPG mechanics. I fell in love with the game and had to look everywhere for a copy of the game, since it was somehow scarce at the moment, months before the Platinum edition was launched.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I just turned 31, didn't play a Final Fantasy until X. I remember renting a PS2 for a weekend and playing it non-stop until I got to the Mushroom Rock Road section. Was impressed by how immersive and realistic it seemed at the time, and ended up buying a PS2 to play it all the way through a couple years later.

Notaskwid

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I was 10 when I played FFIX. I'm 28 now.
It's still one of my favorite games and got me into a lot of stuff I still like to this day.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Apr 9, 2019
I only played Nintendo consoles until my stepdad bought a ps1 and had FF7 on it. I lost my shit at it being a "book I could play" and ever since then have played just about all of them. I was like 13.

Oct 25, 2017
Mid-30s, and FFII/IV.

This was back in the day when damn near the only things to play on SNES were platformers and JRPGs. I played a lot of JRPGs that I'd never give any time to otherwise. Lufia (which, in fairness, I remember enjoying the second one at the time), Lagoon, FF II, Secret of Mana, etc.

I found it boring and bland, and I didn't get close to finishing it. I've only spent more than an hour with that game and with FF VII when it comes to Final Fantasy.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Does this thread make you feel old as fuck like it does to me??

I read stuff like "I asked my mom for FFX when I was like 9" and I am like "WTF?"
lol

Truth is, a 9 year old kid from 2002 is now 26 soooo...
Kinda. I started buying them with my own money with VI on SNES. I was an employed adult by the time VII was released.

You just learn to live with it after a while.

Dogenzaka

Apr 20, 2019
Mid twenties and my first was FFVII, but I didn't really get that far because I was only renting the game. The first one I actually played to completion was FFX when I was like.. 8 I think?

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 36.

I remember watching my mother play Final Fantasy on the NES as a child. The first one I played was Final Fantasy 2 (actually Final Fantasy 4) on my SNES.