I really fucked up

DrewFu

Apr 19, 2018
While sitting she asked me again about anything I was afraid of. I told her I was afraid of what she might say to something I was thinking about which had been eating at me for a couple hours at that point. She asked what it was.

I, verbatim, asked her if she thought us sleeping together was a good idea, before I left. She said no, and her response was cold and her body language immediately told me she was taken aback by the question.

I saw what my question did and the schism it had just rendered between us and didnt know what to say. I told her I thought I'd ask because of the trust I had in her as someone I relied on through the years of friendship between us which involved a level of bonding I havent shared with many others. She said if I really was her friend I would know that she doesnt want to be seen as something to be used for sex and that she had been really hurt by being mistreated that way before. That I invoked this kind of reaction in someone I at least thought I cared about as much as her felt like someone had just driven a stake into my chest, and placed gloves full of thumbtacks over my hands.
Dude, I don't mean to pile on, but how in the hell did you jump to this conclusion? I mean seriously, how? It's one thing to ask if a friend has mutual feelings for you and going from there - but just to just flat out ask if you should randomly sleep together because you have a strong friendship is ludicrous.

Beyond that, I'd move on and try to stop dwelling on it.

Last edited:

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
I pray this is satire of all the ridiculous threads on this site. If not... please seek professional help. Nobody here will be able to help lol

Ryu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was not really an appropriate time or way to say something like this. On the other hand, asking for sex like this at the appropriate time may even work with some people (haha?), but still, the atmosphere was neither drunk, nor fun. Either way, this is also not a reason to end a ”good”, friendly relationship.
She could‘ve also laughed it off. I think I‘ve seen so many guys bearing every little detail or fault at their shoulders.. Stop it please. And calm down, why should you be a rapist because of this or even think about something like this? Move on, forget - and I mean truly forget about her, and do something that makes yourself whole again. Not others, you. We. are. all. not. perfect.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
First things first, stop drinking. It will only make things worse. And by the sound of how quickly you went from a non-drinker to an abuser, you seem predisposed to doing a lot. A hurt emotional state is only wounded by overdrinking, not helped. This is where you need to start.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
That's a really direct way to attempt to initiate a sexual relationship with a close friend. You severely misread the situation and went for a verbal confirmation and it apparently affected her trust of your motives. It was a mistake.

All you could have done afterward was to apologize to her and hope she was gracious enough to want to continue the friendship and if not, follow her lead afterward. At this point, it sounds like you should let it go and learn from it.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I, verbatim, asked her if she thought us sleeping together was a good idea, before I left. She said no, and her response was cold and her body language immediately told me she was taken aback by the question.
You could have said "Do you think the two of us sleeping together is a good idea" but I guarantee that what she heard was "I want to fuck you". You say you told her you "didn't think of her that way" but that obviously isn't true, it was your idea after all. No one who doesn't think of their friend as a potential sex partner is going to ask said friend about having sex with them.

To make matters worse you did it in that "nice guy" sort of way by not being honest about how you feel (I want to have sex with you) and instead putting all of the responsibility on her (what do you think about the two of us having sex), making her the bad guy when she says no.

Even if the friendship had been completely genuine up until that point, she's going to wonder if it wasn't and that this was your goal all along. And this on top of an already rocky friendship.

I took her hand, which was a physical boundry we had crossed before in other circumstances, and told her I didnt think of her that way and that she knew that I'm not the kind of person who would do that. She was quiet for a few seconds, then looked down, saying, "No, youre not holding my hand. I'm leaving." I let go, watched her get up, and sat silent while she walked to her car and left.
I get the impression that you consider the hand holding to be a conciliatory act, but she probably saw it as an escalation.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the drinking and stuff is you trying to find a way to punish this girl. Are you thinking that if you abuse yourself enough, she'll feel bad for hurting you?

You did something really really really stupid. Learn from it and move on. Everything you've done screams immaturity. That's ok if you can grow from this, but it's time to stop.

Wamb0wneD

Oct 26, 2017
Like, obviously you fucked up and should never ask something like that out of the blue. It's weird and awkward as hell. This sort of thing happens naturally, especially between people who are already friends...That being said, her wanting to call the cops makes me think you either forgot a few approaches you made towards her while being drunk during those 2 months, or that escalated real quick. Or do have a hunch why they blocked you and she's threatening with police and just leave that bit out?

I also don't get why you told her you're going to tell her ex. Like...what? Why? If you absolutely need to tell him for whatever reasons you might have, why tell her you're going to tell him? What purpose does that serve other than guilt tripping her?

Just leave it be and move on. She seems to consider your friendship to be over, so maybe you should start doing the same instead of drinking yourself into an early grave.

Fury451

Oct 27, 2017
Being honest here, you way overplayed a hand that you didn’t even have to play to begin with. I can’t imagine how fucking uncomfortable she was considering my skin almost crawled off my body just reading the OP.

You did fuck up but it seemingly got so much worse after. She isn’t your property and the shit about telling her ex is fucking weird, so stop self loathing and talk to a professional about your problems instead.

Don’t contact her anymore at all, ever, and address your shit.

Edit: edited after understanding the gravity of OP’s actions in more detail.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
It was not really an appropriate time or way to say something like this. On the other hand, asking for sex like this at the appropriate time may even work with some people (haha?), but still, the atmosphere was neither drunk, nor fun. ,,Either way, this is also not a reason to end a ”good”, friendly relationship.
She could‘ve also laughed it off.
I think I‘ve seen so many guys bearing every little detail or fault at their shoulders.. Stop it please. And calm down, why should you be a rapist because of this or even think about something like this? Move on, forget - and I mean truly forget about her, and do something that makes yourself whole again. Not others, you. We. are. all. not. perfect.
Let me stop you right there.

Here are the facts as what was presented by OP:
- OP pushed onto this girl all of his problems and emotions enough to the point it caused a rift between them
- Friend in question recently got OUT of a relationship with her ex that also just so happens to be OP's ex roommate
- The planned dinner meet was them getting together after an extended period of not speaking/being close
- OP broached the lines of friendship by sheepishly asking for sex (of which he was mulling for hours prior to) to a friend he had a shaky friendship with they were trying to rebuild that same night

Given just all that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with her behavior. She doesn't owe OP anything but stern refusal.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The way you make it sound, there wasn't even anything flirtatious going on in the convo to warrant your approach. Stop drinking though dude, it's only a girl and you moved which means you get a fresh start with new people.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
So you left your town after messing up your friendship and you start drinking/other self-destructive behaviors? I don't think that's a coincidence.

I don't claim to be a psychiatrist/psychologist (because I'm not), but I think if your self-destructive behaviors started after all this, then you're probably unconsciously punishing yourself and you're playing it off as "not being straight-edge anymore". You need to seek therapy and figure things out.

About your friend, it might be too late to salvage it. You were already on thin ice, and then you ask them to sleep with you. You seriously misread your relationship, so get your head on straight and then worry about that. It also didn't help that you showed up at her house drunk after two months while occasionally drunk dialing her while you were away. It's also just been two months, so maybe more time would make things better with your best friend and others.

If you take nothing else from this post, I think you should talk to a professional and get help.

EDIT: Whoops, typo

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like OP gets the message and now were just brow beating OP for screwing up.
Yeah because there is no precedent of ERA's general reaction when these sorts of threads are created, right? If OP doesn't like it, then he can tell a mod to close the thread.

Why do others act like this reaction isn't typical of this site? No amount of pearl-clutching is going to change our collective finger-wagging and shaming of OP's decision. He willingly posted this diatribe with the expectation that he'd more than likely get shat on. I mean no one can be naive enough to think that wouldn't happen.

Eighthours

Dec 5, 2017
Assuming we can take everything you say at face value, I don't think you 'fucked up badly' at all. You misread some stuff, asked her the question and she overreacted to it badly IMO. If she was a real friend, she wouldn't let that one line ruin the friendship, much less say whatever she said to other people that caused them to delete you from Snapchat etc. I can see why you've held onto the thoughts you have, as the spiral of events must have been confusing and difficult to understand. It does seem from your initial post, however, that this friendship had been on a knife edge previously, so you're probably better off out of it. It's a shame there was so much collateral damage, though.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
You aren't a bad person for what you did and you didn't do anything immoral. Having said that, it's okay to realize that sometimes friendships end and the best thing you can do is let that happen and not forcing the issue. Life will go on, man.

Having said that, it's also not a sign of weakness to talk to someone like a therapist if you're down and feeling like some needed stability has left your life. In an ideal world everyone would have the free cash to do so. Good luck.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So you definitely fucked up in the first place, but then you MAJORLY fucked up by not letting it go and harassing her. The one thing that seems really frustrating is how quickly your friends turned on you. I took your interaction as rude, naive, foolish, but it sounds like you asked her then backed off. It's frustrating that your friends wouldn't explain to you why they're mad or let you try to explain, unless of course there's more to the story you're not telling us. That being said, now that you showed up at her door they have every right to avoid you.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
I can't believe there are people in here trying to downplay what the OP did and say she is overreacting. Wtf is wrong with you all?

It's not normal to ask one of your closest friends if they want to fuck just because you're leaving soon. It's completely disrespecting her friendship and trust in with him. Then OP continued to bother her and demand her time after all of that.

OP: you fucked up and you know you did. Leave her alone and move on with your life. Stop trying to force a resolution because it's only going to make things worse.
This x100
but damn her first reaction was really an overreaction
Absolutely fucking not. Calling that overreaction is some spurious bullshit, especially considering the circumstances.

Hell, she even stayed relatively calm. But even if she had told him to fuck off and left immediately it'd still not be an overreaction. If a friend did that to me, one who emotionally used me before too, I'd be utterly disgusted.

It's very clear that he thinks of her as property. When she refused him and left, he messaged her saying that he was about to tell her ex about this shit. Why would you do that? Why in seven hells does her ex need to know at all? And not only that, after he told her ex, he wrote that he was ready to be beaten by her ex. Basically in his mind, since he'd tried to "own" the woman and failed, he felt it was his duty to inform the previous "owner" of his attempt and accept any beating from this guy on account of his "attempted theft".

There's no empathy in this post. Only narcissistic, objectifying, creepy behavior. And this is HIS side of the story. Who knows what her side is.

OP, you need to self-reflect. And you need help. Because the signals you're giving off in your post here are all wrong. If you dream of ever finding happiness or a good partner, you'll need to change a LOT.
Yup. I feel bad for her.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Chalk her up to a mistake made that cannot be unmade and leave her alone. You are sounding a tad stalkerish OP (especially similar to a guy who posted something on reddit and had people point it out to him that he was stalking and luckily listened to them and got therapy and realized a lot about himself and what habits were bad. Complete with him acting the victim and wondering why she wouldn't listen to him). Seek therapy. But don't seek her out. She's the past for you now and all trying to "fix" it is going to do is make you more of a stalker. (and I agree unless you aren't telling us something it is sad how quickly everyone turned on you at first but your continueing to obsess over her long after is what makes me say you are sounding kinda stalkerish).

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
You said it in the thread title- you fucked up.

The bottom line was, you were with a friend you trusted, and trying to make up with after you already had somewhat of a falling out with, you and tried to make it into "before you leave booty call" , and shattered that trust. There would have been gentler ways to go about it if you had feelings. You could have just told her you had feelings in a respectful way, (probably still would have rejected you), but maybe she wouldn't be treating you like the plague today. In reality though, you were leaving, and putting any of that on her while you were moving away would be unfair in any circumstance, but what you specifically did just really sucked.

At this point she is clearly pissed and over your shit, along with many of the other friends, and yes, again, you fucked up. Maybe burned the bridge completely. I would just stop attempting any contact with those who clearly don't want your company, take your loss here and move on. Learn from this, work on the friendships you still have, or work on new ones, and treat these people better.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hey man we all make mistakes and say stupid shit at stupid moments. Especially if ylwere drinking. Sometimes tbh you can't salvage it. It's clear that this person doesn't want to salvage it so leave her alone. Yeah it doesn't feel good and you don't feel good, but she doesn't also need to continue to have negative feelings because you NEED to 'fix' things by constantly reaching out.

I'll echo what other people said about getting a therapist. Doesn't meant anything's wrong w you but it'd be a better course of action than seeking advice on an Internet forum.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming we can take everything you say at face value, I don't think you 'fucked up badly' at all. You misread some stuff, asked her the question and she overreacted to it badly IMO. If she was a real friend, she wouldn't let that one line ruin the friendship, much less say whatever she said to other people that caused them to delete you from Snapchat etc. I can see why you've held onto the thoughts you have, as the spiral of events must have been confusing and difficult to understand. It does seem from your initial post, however, that this friendship had been on a knife edge previously, so you're probably better off out of it. It's a shame there was so much collateral damage, though.
He did mess up so stop downplaying his behaviour. It doesn't help him or anyone else in a situation that needs to learn boundraries and social cues. He should be able to read this thread and come out of it understanding he was 100% in the wrong and that he needs to leave her alone and work on himself.

The OP strained his relationship with her by unloading baggage constantly. This was not evenly done between both of them and it caused a rift. They met up before he was leaving to try and reconcile the friendship and instead of having a good night out he decided to jump to asking for sex before he left. He then grabbed her hand after already crossing a line and not understanding he did. She had every right to react the way she did so don't try to put this on her as not being a good friend. OP is the one that stepped on his friendship with this girl and then proceeded to make it 10x worse with his other actions.

Nov 17, 2017
I'll echo what others have said, you've already moved from that place so move on in your mind too. Trying to salvage things is just going to make it worse. Everything you did after initially asking her was just digging further and further down.

Evaluate the things you did and learn from them so you never repeat them. Also try to find out the source of your behavior. Therapy will do wonders for this.

So you definitely fucked up in the first place, but then you MAJORLY fucked up by not letting it go and harassing her. The one thing that seems really frustrating is how quickly your friends turned on you. I took your interaction as rude, naive, foolish, but it sounds like you asked her then backed off. It's frustrating that your friends wouldn't explain to you why they're mad or let you try to explain, unless of course there's more to the story you're not telling us. That being said, now that you showed up at her door they have every right to avoid you.
Yeah, the way I see it, asking to have sex with her was definitely a mistake but in certain circumstances, friends deciding to have sex is not a bad thing and people have done it so the simple idea of asking a friend if they want sex is not immoral - just completely tone deaf and inconsiderate since this was definitely NOT one of those circumstances. The real fuck up was every thing OP did in reaction to her saying no. Grabbing her hand, calling her, telling her he would tell her ex (why?), showing up at her work, showing up at her house... like it was just an escalating series of really bad moves. If I was her, I would also be scared.

It is weird that all his friends had blocked him by the next morning for this without even a word. I don't like to assume that OP is just not telling the full story and did something even worse in these kinds of threads but it's weird for even his so called "best friend" to just cut him off without a word. Like if my best friend did what OP described, I would still talk to him and try to hear his side of the story then base my response off that. I can only guess that since OP described his friend group as all being coworkers, OP's friendship was more one-sided as a coworker and they were more friends with his female friend who had told them what happened the night of.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
This x100

Absolutely fucking not. Calling that overreaction is some spurious bullshit, especially considering the circumstances.

Hell, she even stayed relatively calm. But even if she had told him to fuck off and left immediately it'd still not be an overreaction. If a friend did that to me, one who emotionally used me before too, I'd be utterly disgusted.

Yup. I feel bad for her.
Why exactly? Expressing sexual interest is now unforgivable ? A simple no is enough , even get angry and block himI understand, burn the ground around OP and tell everyone what happened shaming him for and advance? That’s a fucking over action and a childish one

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
The way you went about it was clumsy, but you didn't do anything that wrong. Personally I think it's an overreaction for you friends to block you, but it's something you'll have to live with for now. I'm gonna echo the people that say you should get therapy.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You didn't want her for her, you wanted her for physical and emotional comfort for yourself. Your question about sex shows as much. You fucked up. Hard. BUT IT'S OK. The world isn't over. You MUST learn from this and move on. Give it time and effort. We all make mistakes, understand the gravity of what you have done to be better, but don't beat yourself over it too much.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
Why exactly? Expressing sexual interest is now unforgivable ? A simple no is enough , even get angry and block himI understand, burn the ground around OP and tell everyone what happened shaming him for and advance? That’s a fucking over action and a childish one
Did you not click the link to the post explaining why his behaviour was awful? Did you also miss the fact that he touched her hand AFTER she bluntly told him no and was visibly creeped out, and the fact that he told her "I'm gonna tell your ex-boyfriend about what just happened between us" (and he did) which is grossly inappropriate, and how he continued to try to talk to her repeatedly after?

Christ...

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah because there is no precedent of ERA's general reaction when these sorts of threads are created, right? If OP doesn't like it, then he can tell a mod to close the thread.

Why do others act like this reaction isn't typical of this site? No amount of pearl-clutching is going to change our collective finger-wagging and shaming of OP's decision. He willingly posted this diatribe with the expectation that he'd more than likely get shat on. I mean no one can be naive enough to think that wouldn't happen.
You're saying we should endlessly shame somebody for no reason other than because we can? That's called being an asshole.

asagami_

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I like how you ignore the OP thought it was a good idea threat her with telling to her ex. She has good reasons to want cut off him of her life.

OP, get help for your own good.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
How is this hard for you to understand? They had a strained friendship and this night out before leaving was supposed to be them reconciling. They were having a personal converstation and the OP decided out of nowhere to ask her for sex before he left and then after rejecting him and showing how uncomfortable she is he proceeded to grab her hand and act like his intentions weren't about sex. Then after all of this he continued to bother her and even showed up at her place demanding she give him time.

If you still can't understand why this is an issue then you're like OP and need to learn boundaries and social cues.

Ramjag

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn’t a wise decision, but it’s not the end of the world either. Accept that it was poor behavior and try to grow from it. It saddens me to hear that you’re turning to alcohol, please stop.

Try to move forward and be better. It was a dumb thing to do, but you’re definitely not a rapist. Also sorry to hear that your best mate isn’t speaking to you, that sucks, but if that’s where you’re at, move on. The big issues for me are that I find it a bit insensitive to just spring sex into the convo especially as once before you take off. Showing up at her place isn’t cool either, so promptly cut it out. If you don’t obsess over it, I think you’ll be straight. Best of luck.

Last edited:

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
For context, I strained our friendship to the point of nearly breaking over the course of several months at the start of the year due to making her my outlet for my issues. This made me really co-dependant with her, more one sided for me than for her, but we both had leaned on one another through some dark times.
Women are not your therapist, stop.

Maybe I just want to be told I didnt do anything wrong...I dont know.
You’re looking for validation yeah. But you wronged her, badly.

You aren't a bad person for what you did and you didn't do anything immoral.
Yeah he is and that you’re telling him otherwise shows you in a pretty bad light.

Order

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is some incredibly creepy and toxic behavior

Shame on the people telling OP he did nothing wrong. How the fuck will he get better if he has people coddling him like a child

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah he is and that you’re telling him otherwise shows you in a pretty bad light.
Not really, it just shows I understand people are human and make mistakes and don't feel the need to grandstand on a message board and put forth an imaginary standard of conduct that virtually no one, including you, has passed during the course of their life. With that being said, I was hoping my recommendation for therapy would help him and the behaviors he's expressed in his post. It's certainly more helpful than telling someone they are a piece of shit.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
How is this hard for you to understand? They had a strained friendship and this night out before leaving was supposed to be them reconciling. They were having a personal converstation and the OP decided out of nowhere to ask her for sex before he left and then after rejecting him and showing how uncomfortable she is he proceeded to grab her hand and act like his intentions weren't about sex. Then after all of this he continued to bother her and even showed up at her place demanding she give him time.

If you still can't understand why this is an issue then you're like OP and need to learn boundaries and social cues.
And also, empathy

Mondai

Dec 8, 2018
For fucks sake, this wasn’t just a simple “we all make mistakes” BS , OP was really inappropriate and then turned downright creepy , seriously some of you are dumb 😒