• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Canadian Election 2019 |OT| One Long Year of Scheer Stupidity [Update: Liberal Minority Government]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanatos

Community Manager
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Good luck to you! I wish the way things are set up didn't make it so difficult for people of modest incomes to get by. My wife and I now clear $120,000 as a couple (I know that's not modest), but even at that point, around $1800 a month for a mortgage is pretty nuts when you add property taxes, school fees, gas, groceries, clothes, activities for the kids, trips, etc. on top of it.
Your mortgage is killing you, ouch. Ours is 600 every two weeks (about 1200 a month) and we are in the renewal phase for about 1300 a month that we will be taking for January 1st.

1800 is rough!

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
This is my 3rd time voting in a Federal election but this is the first of the 3 where we didn't have a real clear feeling on who the winner would be. Honestly even with some of the polls I don't think we have any idea. My dad is a staunch liberal and he told me the same thing, first time he can remember it not being a more natural wing.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Scheer really has no right getting anywhere near the PM position... He ran such an embarrassment of a campaign.
Trudeau is actually very lucky at how poor of a leadership choice the cons / con voters made. Scheer faceplanted his way out of a clear victory imo. Played every scandal poorly, got caught lying, made a lot of flubs.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau is actually very lucky at how poor of a leadership choice the cons / con voters made. Scheer faceplanted his way out of a clear victory imo. Played every scandal poorly, got caught lying, made a lot of flubs.
Yeah, I think if the cons picked a better leader they could've easily guaranteed a majority, which is absolutely frightening to me.

vulva

Oct 25, 2017
Arrived back in Canada on Saturday, voted this morning. I'm over in Carleton and this feels like one of the ones where an LPC vote is really needed so hopefully this makes a difference

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Your mortgage is killing you, ouch. Ours is 600 every two weeks (about 1200 a month) and we are in the renewal phase for about 1300 a month that we will be taking for January 1st.

1800 is rough!
Your mortgage payments sound like heaven. LOL. I'm barely able to toss in more than $1500 a year into my RRSPs right now because of the mortgage. I'm 38 years old. Will keep plugging away and hope my income will grow in the next 5 years so things don't feel like such a tight squeeze.

Supernova

Oct 10, 2018
If you want to reward the Conservatives, you can just vote from them instead of spoling your ballot.
I ended up just voting NDP after thinking it over. I know they won't win where I live and splitting the vote isn't a concern since the Liberal candidate will win regardless of my vote. I have no interest in voting conservative unless Michael Chong is their leader.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Your mortgage payments sound like heaven. LOL. I'm barely able to toss in more than $1500 a year into my RRSPs right now because of the mortgage. I'm 38 years old. Will keep plugging away and hope my income will grow in the next 5 years so things don't feel like such a tight squeeze.
I would do unspeakable things for either of your mortgage payments, we're going to be moving into a new build next year and right now we're not anticipating anything less than $2200 per month for just the mortgage, and that's with 20% down. It's the sad reality of the Ottawa single home housing market these days 🤦‍♂️

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think if the cons picked a better leader they could've easily guaranteed a majority, which is absolutely frightening to me.
To be fair, the Liberals also fucked up what was initially looking like an easy path to a majority. They made a lot of unforced errors that could've been easily avoided.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I would do unspeakable things for either of your mortgage payments, we're going to be moving into a new build next year and right now we're not anticipating anything less than $2200 per month for just the mortgage, and that's with 20% down. It's the sad reality of the Ottawa single home housing market these days 🤦‍♂️
Damn. I guess it's all relative and how much you feel it depends on your income as well. But yeah, doesn't sound great.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else getting ad redirects in this thread or on resetera in general today? Going to some Digital News site. Not happening to me anywhere else. I'm on mobile.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Voted, and yeah, I wasn't on the list (other people in my house WERE) and had to essentially re-register (?) but whatever. It's done.

I asked two of the ladies why and they said it is probably indeed because of the address/postal code change we had and that there are thousands of people who didn't get the card/are going through the same thing because the new addresses weren't updated.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Rbk_3

Oct 27, 2017

1800 is rough!
$460 bi weekly for us. I am sure glad we bought when we did, because comparable homes went up 100k in our town since we bought in 2016.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Nervous at work, nervous nervous.

Good thing I’m doing things that keep me from my phone most of the day, or I’d be constantly refreshing this thread. MAN.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my attempt to identify some exciting "ridings to watch" as the results come in. I'm not quite so knowledgable about Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces so please jump in with your suggestions of close ridings you think people should keep an eye on.

Ridings to Watch

BC

Burnaby North

Legendary NDP MP Svend Robinson is trying to make a political comeback in his old riding. The Conservative here was ejected from the party so this is a Lib/NDP tossup.

Vancouver Granville
JWR hoping to stay on as an independent, but she faces a Liberal competitor and potentially a surging NDP Candidate. Do folks in the riding stay loyal?

Vancouver Centre
Maybe maybe this time Hedy Fry doesn't win? lol.

White Rock, Langley City, Kelowna
Shout out to White Rock as a few posters live here. If the Liberals are truly 'regressing to the mean' then these long time Conservative leaning ridings should flip Conservative, but if they stay Liberal it could mean that millennial demographic change is significant.

Victoria
The Greens were the betting favourite to take this from the NDP, but the Greens have regressed and NDP has the momentum so maybe the NDP will hold it.

Nanaimo
The Greens took this NDP riding in a byelection, but maybe the surging NDP can take it back?

Alberta

Does it go all Conservative or do the NDP or Liberals hold any seats? Keep an eye on Edmonton Strathcona, Edmonton Centre and Calgary Centre.

Sask

Regina—Qu'Appelle

Would be kinda lol if Scheer lost his riding (probably won't happen).

Regina—Wascana
The lone Liberal seat in Sask, long time MP Ralph Goodale.

Manitoba

Winnipeg Centre

NDP's Leah Gazan is a strong competitor to Robert Falcon Oullette. This long time NDP riding could flip back.

Ontario'

Davenport

Can the NDP regain some of their Downtown Toronto seats or will the Liberals sweep Ontario?

Brampton East
This is the sort of 905 riding that the NDP are hoping to build support.

Ottawa Centre
this NDP vs Liberal contest is so close Jean Chretien was out campaigning.

Milton
Tossup Con/Lib. Theres a good chance the Liberals could snatch Lisa Raitt’s seat

QC

Beauce

Can Maxime Bernier of the People's Party win his seat or will Maxime Bernier of the Rhino party screw him over?

Berthier—Maskinongé
Popular local MP Brosseau may be the only NDP to hold their seat in Quebec.

Sherbrooke
I noticed an earlier rare riding level poll had this as a three way toss up race between Lib, Bloc and NDP. Should be exciting?

Atlantic
???

Last edited:

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
A Liberal/NDP coalition would be better than any majority, imho.
I'd second that opinion... the best way to keep either of the two main parties in some kind of reasonable check is to make them work in a minority government situation. The Conservatives - and even the Liberals to the lesser degree - become self-serving twats whenever they have a majority government.

gutter_trash

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am actually more relaxed today than yesterday,

Scheer doing the media rounds on a day he is not supposed to demonstrated desperation in his micro emotions in his face.

Trudeau went voting with his family and they all seemed cheery and happy, a signal of confidence

Their internals know more than we know, and it is showing in their faces today

some emotions can't be faked, and I think Trudeau's got this

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The mud is on his hands, and face.
If the Liberals don't get a majority, he's the one to blame.
Quebec voting BQ is a surprise that limits his ceiling and makes majority much harder.

And Cons running a dirty campaign full of lies.

I hope KinsellaGate continues to leak after the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.